Massive Sinkhole That Swallowed Florida Man Reopens, Two Years Later
The hole that tragically killed Jeffrey Bush in 2013 is back.
— -- A 17-foot-wide sinkhole that killed a Florida resident in 2013 has re-opened in the same location it once did two years ago, authorities said.
The hole opened again at 9:30 a.m. today at 240 Faithway Drive in Seffner and is about 20 feet deep, according to Larry McKinnon of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
"The hole opened up exactly where it was last time," McKinnon told ABC News today. "Code enforcement is out there now and they are waiting on specialists and geologists to survey the site and determine what to do next. Not only is it very rare, but here, there was a fatality."
In March 2013, Jeffrey Bush was asleep in his bedroom when the floor collapsed beneath him and he fell inside, ABC News reported at the time.
His brother, Jeremy Bush was inside the home when the incident occurred, but failed at his attempt to rescue him.
The 36-year-old's body was never recovered.
"It’s the same site it was in 2013 but of course, the property had been fenced off, the house had been demolished, and the hole had been filled in," McKinnon said. "We’ve seen them reopen before. Generally when they fill them in, they are pretty stable -- subsequent to that of repairs, so it is pretty rare that it reopened to the extent of this. Our biggest thing is we've cordoned off the area in case it does expand, nobody is injured.
"Specialists are surveying the surrounding areas to check for other caverns that are vulnerable to collapsing as well," he added.
McKinnon said that it's both heavy rain and severe dry spots that cause the ground to weaken underneath, creating sinkholes.
He added that experts will be refilling the hole today and at this time, no locals have been evacuated.
NY AG says she may seize Trump's buildings if he can't pay his $354M civil fraud fine
- Feb 20, 4:50 PM
ABC News Live
24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events