Authorities had previously said the men were not considered suspects in the attempted bombing and appear to have removed the device from the bag on Manhattan's 27th street in order to lug away the suitcase.
The two men are believed to work for an Egyptian airline and are presumed to have returned to Egypt, officials said. At this point remain witnesses in the case.
Authorities say the men picked up the bag shortly after it was left on 27th street on the evening of Sept. 17 by Ahmad Rahami, an American citizen from Afghanistan. Rahami has been charged with a number of purported crimes related to that bomb, another that exploded on 23rd street the same night and several other devices discovered in New Jersey, most of which failed to detonate. At least 29 people were injured in the 23rd street blast.
NYPD chief of counterterrorism James Waters said last week the men who took the bag were "very, very lucky" after perhaps unknowingly handling the explosive device.
Editor's Note: Due to a mistake in the editing process, a previous version of this report said the two men were believed to still be in the U.S. Law enforcement officials say they believe the men are in Egypt.