2 Police Officers Shot in Texas After Responding to Suicide Call, Suspect Dead

The officers were shot Friday night.

— -- Two police officers were shot Friday night at a home in Fort Worth, Texas, while responding to a possible suicide, police said.

When the two officers arrived at the home at 8:38 p.m., a male senior citizen was found dead in a back bedroom with an apparent gunshot wound to the head, Fort Worth Police said.

The police officers were told by someone else in the house that a another person who was inside the the same room where the senior citizen was found when the gunshot went off was inside a storage shed in the backyard.

"[The] officers went outside to the shed to speak with the potential witness," Fort Worth Police said in a statement. "When officers opened the doors to the shed, someone from inside began firing at officers. Both officers were struck by gunfire but were able to return fire at the shooter and take cover until assist officers arrived.

Officer Xavier Serrano, an 8-year veteran and field training officer, was struck "several times" in the upper torso, arms and shoulder, police said.

Officer Ray Azucena, a newly-commissioned officer in field training, was struck once in the chest.

Both officers were wearing their body armor.

Serrano and Azucena were both transported to John Peter Smith Hospital. As of 2:00 a.m. Saturday, the officers were listed in stable condition.

SWAT officers arrived at the home and attempted to negotiate the surrender of the man inside of the shed. "Tear gas was eventually utilized in an attempt to extricate the person without success and a SWAT armored vehicle was deployed to gain access to the shed," police said. "A wall was breached and officers located a deceased person inside."

Police added, "The cause of death is under investigation; however, the subject did have apparent gunshot wounds. It is unknown whether the subject died from police gunfire or if the fatal injury was self-inflicted."

This incident is being investigated by the Fort Worth Police Major Case Unit. Police said body cam footage is evidentiary and will not be released at this point in the investigation.

ABC News' Benjamin Stein, Kelly Johnstone and Devin Villacis contributed to this report.