Weekend Storm Watch: What Travelers Need to Know

PHOTO: A plane is seen in the snow in this file photo.PlayGetty Images
WATCH Mid-Atlantic Gets Pounded by Winter Storm

As the East Coast braces for the impending storm, some residents are wondering how they’ll get around.

Interested in ?

Add as an interest to stay up to date on the latest news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
Add Interest

With six states already in a state of emergency, and some areas expecting up to two feet of snow, travel may prove difficult.

Here’s what you need to know before the snow strikes:

The Storm Will Cripple East Coast Airports

As the storm bears down on the East Coast, airlines have already cancelled more than 5,000 flights, according to flight tracking website FlightAware.

Over half of Friday’s flights out of Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham have been cancelled.

Saturday will be even worse for airports in the storm zone.

Philadelphia International Airport announced it has cancelled all flights departing and arriving on Saturday.

The majority of flights in and out of New York City and Washington, D.C., for Saturday have already been cancelled, according to FlightAware.

Most airlines have adjusted their policies to accommodate travelers trying rebook their flights.

State Employees Are Working Around The Clock To Keep You Safe

More than 1,997,750 tons of salt are ready to be deployed across seven states to treat state roadways and interstate highways.

The District Department of Transportation in Washington has been coordinating with federal officials and the National Guard to prepare for the storm. More than 140 plows, 145 dump trucks and 41,000 tons of salt are ready to go. More than 2,000 people have volunteered to shovel sidewalks and assist elderly residents.

The state of Maryland is deploying workers around the clock. Nearly 3,000 pieces of equipment, including dump drunks and snow plows, and 365,000 tons of salt at 98 salt domes across the state, have been set up.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced that the National Guard is ready to mobilize in case Maryland citizens need help during the storm.

Virginia is deploying 2,500 crew members with more than 13,000 pieces of equipment and 650,000 tons of salt, sand and abrasives and nearly two million gallons of liquid salt.

The National Guard has been authorized to call up to 500 personnel on state active duty for possible assistance with the state's severe winter weather response operations.

Delaware officials told ABC News the state is ready with 500 employees and 450 state-owned vehicles available to remove snow from 13,472 miles of roadway. The state also has more than 43,000 tons of salt prepared for the storm.

Pennsylvania is planning to deploy 4,800 equipment operators and 2,000 trucks with 733,000 tons of salt on hand to keep roadways in the commonwealth safe.

North Carolina is utilizing 1,900 plows and 1.1 million gallons of brine. The state has also deployed 15 teams of National Guard soldiers in Humvees positioned across western and central North Carolina to assist stranded motorists.

West Virginia, one of the few affected states not to declare a state of emergency, has instead declared a “state of preparedness,” which will mobilize state resources, including the West Virginia National Guard, to address heavy snowfall and high winds.

Tennessee has opened the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) in Nashville. The center will have TEMA staff and State Agency partners monitoring the situation, which includes the Tennessee Departments of Health, Human Services, Military, and Transportation and Tennessee Highway Patrol.

Georgia has not declared a state of emergency, but 17 counties within the state have.

Lyft and Uber Are Taking Steps To Keep Drivers and Users Safe

Both Lyft and Uber are reminding drivers to be extra cautious on the roads, with Uber sending out safety suggestions to drivers who choose to work during the inclement weather.

Uber is also taking significant steps to keep prices from skyrocketing.

When a governor declares a state of emergency, Uber places a cap on the surge, which will be the average surge amount over the last couple months, an Uber spokesperson said. As always, 75 percent to 80 percent of the user’s payment goes to the driver, with the remaining 20 percent to 25 percent going to Uber. The company will donate a portion of the proceeds made from the surge to the American Red Cross.