Video: Alleged 3rd 'Gate-Crasher' Enters White House

U.S. Secret Service says a third uninvited guest crashed the Nov. 24 party.

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5, 2010— -- A third man alleged to have crashed a State Dinner in November appears on video to be seen entering the White House through the front door, just minutes before the guest of honor, Indian Prime Minister Monmohan Singh, walked through the same entrance.

The suspect, first identified by the Washington Post as Carlos Allen and confirmed to ABC News by government sources, is seen in footage from the event emerging from a van that carried Indian business leaders from a hotel to the White House.

Allen has denied attending the state dinner, saying repeatedly in an interview with Politico, "I did not attend the state dinner."

On Monday the U.S. Secret Service issued a statement announcing the existence of a third party crasher, in addition to Tareq and Michaele Salahi. Allen did not respond to attempts by ABC News to reach him.

"The subject traveled from a local hotel where the official Indian delegation was staying, and arrived at the dinner with the group, which was under the responsibility of the Department of State," a statement from the U.S. Secret Service reads.

Sources tell ABC News the D.C.-area man met the Indian delegation at the Willard Hotel, where they went through a magnetometer security screening before boarding vans to the White House. Upon approaching the White House gate, Secret Service personnel then waved through the delegation's van, assuming everyone inside had been cleared and screened to attend.

"They clearly are not following their basic protocol in that you cannot let anyone in a controlled space, particularly with the president, without being cleared," former FBI special agent Brad Garrett told ABC News.

The Secret Service says that "there is nothing to indicate that this individual went through the receiving line" or had contact with the Obamas, unlike the Salahis, who famously shook hands with the president.

Official: State Dept. to Blame for 3rd Crasher

While Secret Service officials have assumed full responsibility for the Salahis' presence at that dinner, they are blaming the presence of this third uninvited and unvetted guest on the U.S. State Department.

"A State protocol officer should have prevented him from going through the U.S.S.S. security check at the Willard, U.S.S.S. has no list at that checkpoint," a U.S. official told ABC News.

"Once he was screened, he was part of the delegation package and went in with them," the official said, meaning there was no additional screening once the van arrived at the White House because they are then considered a secure group.

The official tells ABC News that after news broke of the Salahis crashing the State Dinner, the Secret Service reexamined video of guests arriving, trying to match faces with names on a guest list. They found one man in a tuxedo, but no corresponding name on a guest list.

The third crasher was then quickly identified as Allen and later questioned, according to the official.

Sources said Allen didn't stay the whole night and seemed to have left before the dinner started.

Asked specifically if the suspect had any connection to the Indian CEOs who rode in the van, the official added, "I honestly don't know if he had a connection to the CEOs. I've seen nothing to believe he did."

For some reason officials say Allen's name -- unlike the other members of the official Indian delegation -- was not entered into the Worker and Visitor Entrance System (WAVES), the security list for those who enter the White House.

Secret Service Reviews Security Procedures After Breach

In a statement Tuesday, House Homeland Security Chairman Benny Thompson, D-Miss., accused the Secret Service of displaying a "pattern of… failing to properly protect the President." He also admonished the agency, urging it to "be forthcoming and proactive with details regarding all breaches of security."

Thompson and the ranking Republican on the committee, Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., were only informed of the existence of a third "crasher" just before the Secret Service's public disclosure Monday, despite the committee's ongoing investigation into the Salahi breach.

Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan told Thompson's committee at a hearing last month that the agency is thoroughly reviewing its protocols.

Donovan told ABC News procedural changes have already been implemented to address whatever holes existed in the system for foreign delegations under the responsibility of Department of State to enter facilities secured by the Secret Service.

The Secret Service is part of the Department of Homeland Security, which has found itself somewhat embattled due to security breaches leading to the presence of the alleged failed bomber Umar Farouq Abdulmutallab on Northwest Airlines Flight 253 on Christmas Day.

ABC News' Siobhan Fisher, Ann Compton, Steven Portnoy and Devin Dwyer contributed to this report.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events