Cain Accuser: "Unwanted Advances" from GOP Candidate

Share
Copy

Two Sexual Harassment Complaints Against Cain Surface

Bennett's client represents one of two formal cases brought against Cain that have surfaced in the past week. The presidential candidate has acknowledged the two complaints came during his four-year tenure at the restaurant industry lobbying group. A third woman has told the Associated Press that she, also, felt harassed by Cain in the workplace. But she said she did not file a formal complaint. None of the women has been named publicly.

"Where there's smoke, there's fire," he said. "It tells me there was some sexual harassment activity by this man at this time."

Cain has vigorously disputed the assertion that he harassed anyone. His has blamed the surfacing of the decade-old charges on political rivals, and called the media's pursuit of the story a "witch hunt."

Cain told Fox News host Sean Hannity he never even made flattering remarks to a second accuser, a coworker he'd allegedly asked to accompany him to his apartment.

"I didn't make those kind of compliments," Cain said. "I didn't say that she was hot, or that sort of thing. ... I know I didn't do that kind of stuff."

Cain's chief of staff, Mark Block, said earlier this week that the presidential candidate "has never sexually harassed anyone. Period. End of story."

The restaurant association statement also indicated that Cain disputed the allegations at the time they were made. He was not, however, a party to the settlement agreement.

Bennett said he does not know if Cain's comments about the episode violated the terms of the settlement.

Follow ABCNewsBlotter on Twitter Click Here to Sign Up for Breaking News and Investigation Alerts From The Brian Ross Investigative Unit

"That's another interesting legal question, whether someone who was the accused and was the CEO would be bound without signing it, and I really don't know the answer to that right now," he said.

Asked if Bennett believes Cain breached the agreement, the attorney replied: "I think you can make the argument that he has."

Cain campaign spokesman J.D. Gordon released a statement after Bennett delivered his client's statement to the media Friday afternoon.

"We look forward to focusing on our attention on the real issues impacting this country," said Gordon, "like fixing this broken economy and putting Americans back to work through our 9-9-9 Plan, as well as strengthening national security."

Click Here for the Blotter Homepage.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
null
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...