Batman and Superman fought off terrible reviews from critics to open big during Easter weekend.
"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" earned an estimated $170.1 million from Friday through Sunday, the sixth-best opening of all time at the domestic box office. It's also the best pre-summer opening ever.
"Batman v Superman," which also took in $254 million overseas, marks the debut of Ben Affleck as the Caped Crusader, who is pit against Henry Cavill's Superman. Jesse Eisenberg co-stars as the villain Lex Luthor.
The only other major release of the weekend was "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2," which debuted in third place, collecting $18.1 million.
"Zootopia," the box office champ of the previous three weekends, was the runner-up this time, with $23.1 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to Rentrak:
- 1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, $170.1 million.
- 2. Zootopia, $23.1 million.
- 3. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, $18.1 million.
- 4. Miracles From Heaven, $9.5 million.
- 5. The Divergent Series: Allegiant, $9.5 million.
- 6. 10 Cloverfield Lane, $6 million.
- 7. Deadpool, $5 million.
- 8. London Has Fallen, $2.9 million.
- 9. Hello, My Name Is Doris, $1.7 million.
- 10. Eye in the Sky, $1 million.