Charlie Sheen has been mostly under the radar the past few weeks but possibly in "deep negotiations" for another sitcom.
Reports swirled Monday that the former "Two and a Half Men" star was negotiating a "big offer" for a new TV series that could debut as early as January.
Quoting a source connected to Sheen, TMZ said the actor's reps were in "deep negotiations" and a possible deal could be made by week's end.
Sheen's rep had no comment when contacted today by ABCNews.com.
The show, according to TMZ, was being written specifically for Sheen and would air on a broadcast network.
If that's the case, three out of the four broadcast networks, ABC, NBC and CBS, have already denied that they are talking to Sheen.
A source in touch with the Sheen camp was quoted on the NBC Scoop gossip website as saying, "This is something that's been put out there by his management to generate buzz. There's nothing that is at the 'deep negotiation' stage yet ... no one is ready to trust him."
The source added that Sheen is looking for work now because he needs the money.
"I get that he wants work. There is a lot of cash going out from him and little coming in now, and he needs the money," the source was quoted as saying. "That is part of the reason he put his house on the market. But here's what he doesn't get: No one wants to work with him again yet. He's too much a loose cannon."
Sheen did take a meeting at Fox in March but so far nothing has materialized, according to Deadline website.
Indeed, Sheen himself has been mostly MIA since his "Torpedo of Truth tour" ended in May.
A friend contacted by ABCNews.com last week said, "I've seen him and he's doing OK," refusing to elaborate.
Sheen will be missing on this year's Emmy ballot.
After two opportunities to submit his name for consideration for his role on "Men," Sheen failed to do so by the May 25 drop-dead deadline, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
"It's up to the individual, whether they want to engage or not engage," Academy of Television Arts and Sciences chief John Shaffner told the Reporter. "It was his choice."
Without his name on the official ballot, Sheen, a four-time nominee for "Men," has no chance of winning for the series, now that he has been fired and replaced by Ashton Kutcher. He's also unlikely to show up at this year's Emmy ceremony, clearing the way for host Jane Lynch to make all the Sheen jokes she wants; though she might hold back because she has put her own name in for her guest role on "Men."
Sheen's former co-stars Jon Cryer, Angus T. Young and Holland Taylor also submitted themselves, but Warner Bros. did not submit the show for outstanding comedy series.
Cryer, whom Sheen dubbed a "troll" and "traitor," recently spoke to David Letterman about his former friend's quick downward spiral.
"It's as much a mystery to me as to everyone, I think," Cryer said Wednesday.
"I love him, he's a great friend," Cryer added. "None of us wanted to continue with the show if we felt like it was hurting him, and there was a point at which, we felt like, there's no control over him."
And now there seems to be few sightings of him. Sheen had been scheduled to take his tour to Australia and Europe this month, although there's been no word on the tour's status.
As for accompanying his friend Sean Penn to Haiti, as Sheen promised in March, Penn's rep told ABCNews.com, "The trip has not happened."
Sheen continues to update his Twitter account. In his most recent post a few days ago, he said he's nearing the final selection for a social media intern. "Tiger Blood Interns!!! the final 50 have made this a TOUGH decision ... you're all amazing!!! decision soon ... patience cadre ... patience...," he wrote.