After what may have seemed like an eternity for "Outlander" fans, the Word War II-era fantasy show has finally returned. Series star Caitriona Balfe appeared on ABC News' "Popcorn With Peter Travers" to talk about the show’s long hiatus and what to expect in season 3.
Interested in Popcorn?Add Popcorn as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Popcorn news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
If “Outlander” mania is new to you, here’s a quick primer from Balfe who plays a time-traveling nurse and a Scottish warrior.
“Claire was a combat nurse in the 1940s. And at the end of World War II, she and her husband Frank went to Scotland to rekindle their romance,” said Balfe. “She came upon a circle of standing stones and she got transported back in time where she met this group of highlanders. And her life was in peril. So she was forced to marry one of them, Jamie Fraser, who she falls madly, deeply in love with. But Claire, being from the future, knows that the highland culture is about to be decimated by the redcoats and the British. So her and Jamie go on this battle or this journey to stop (the attack).”
- Caitriona Balfe appears on Popcorn With Peter Travers
Now that you’re all caught up, here are five things to know about Balfe and "Outlander":
1. Balfe was cast in her starring role just days before the show began filming
"I got this audition, I’d sent in a tape because it was being cast out of London," Balfe said, "and I then screen tested with Sam (Heughan) in Los Angeles. And I think five days later I was in Scotland. So two days later they offered me the job. They were down to the wire. But the costumes weren't made for me so they had to push it by another week and a half. But it was very fast."
2. The cast is shooting for much of the year"It’s 10 months. And then we get to come and do this," Balfe said of her press tour. "And then we start back in three and a half weeks."
3. There will be a season 4Balfe told Travers there's more to come. The show is based on books written by author Diana Gabaldon.
"Season 4 has been picked up. Diana is almost finished her 9th book," Balfe said. "This woman, I have so much admiration for her. She’s got about 20 something books she written. She has three kids that she raised. She has multiple Ph.D.s and master's [degrees]."
4. You may recognize Balfe from other filmsBalfe briefly appeared in the film “The Devil Wears Prada.” But you may also recognize her from her most recent appearance in “Money Monsters,” which starred Julia Roberts and was directed by Jodie Foster.
“Julia was so sweet to me. And I’ve bumped into her a few times,” Balfe said. “And Jodie Foster, you meet women like that and you’re just amazed at how talented and smart she is and was really sweet. And she’s just a lovely woman. And it was an absolute dream to work with her. And we shot in New York City. So that was such a dream for me. But that was between season 1 and 2 and we had a really long hiatus to fit something in.”
5. Balfe may soon be behind the cameraWhen the "Outlander" series does finally wrap, Balfe said she might be interested in switching things up.
"I would love to do some theater. It’s been many, many years since I've done that. But I would also love to go behind the camera at some point. I would love to direct or try my hand at it anyway," she said.
The "Outlander" series can be seen on the STARZ network.
Be sure to watch the full interview with Peter Travers and Caitriona Balfe in the video above.