'Buckwild' Star Died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Shain Gandee was found dead in his truck with two other passengers after leaving a bar.
2:13 | 04/03/13

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

More information on this video
Enhanced full screen
Explore related content
Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for 'Buckwild' Star Died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The latest on the tragic death of shain gandee, star of the mtv reality show "buckwild." Carbon monoxide poisoning now confirmed as the causef death for gandee and the two men found with him. Abc's david kerley has the latest from sissonville, west virginia. David, good morning. Reporter: We know that shain gandee was doing what he loved in the early morning hours. What we don't know was he doing it just for fun or were mtv cameras rolling? This morning this small west virginia town is planning a funeral. Shain gandee was the breakout star of the mtv reality show "buckwild." The fun-loving 21-year-old nicknamed gandee candy found ways in his rural hometown to have a good time including something known as mudding. Mudding is like a stress reliever. Reporter: Driving into a mud hole and trying to get out. But that mudently contributed to his death. Being able to get inside the vehicle, it forced firefighters to wade in about 2 1/2 feet of mud to open the door. Reporter: It is a popular activity in parts of west virginia when the ground is very wet like this and you can sink very, very quickly into it. This bar was the last place gandee was seen with his uncle and a friend as saturday night became sunday morning. At 3:00 a.M. They said they were going mudding. A day and a half later a friend found the vehicle in a mud hole near the gandee home. The truck was partially submerged in mud. Mud which also covered the exhaust pipe. If they let the vehicle running, toxic fumes could have been forced into the passenger compartment, possibly explaining carbon monoxide poisoning. Got her to sleep to. There's only one thing for that. The gandeecandy. Reporter: He found a girlfriend on "buckwild" and with his death cara parrish tweeted this is the emptiest I've ever felt. This morning filming of "buckwild" remains on hold as the small town deals with the reality of losing one of their own. I spent some time around gandee's home yesterday, and neighbors who watched him grow up say he was generally a nice, young man. The funeral is expected this weekend.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"id":18868809,"title":"'Buckwild' Star Died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning","duration":"2:13","description":"Shain Gandee was found dead in his truck with two other passengers after leaving a bar.","section":"GMA","mediaType":"Default"}