(HealthDay News) -- Eczema is a condition that results in red, itchy and scaly patches of skin -- often on the scalp, forehead, face or extremities.
The American Academy of Dermatology offers these suggestions help manage the uncomfortable symptoms of eczema:
- Make an appointment with a dermatologist to confirm your diagnosis and get treatment.
- If your doctor recommends so, use a topical prescription medication on the skin, such as a corticosteroid or a medication that affects the immune system.
- An antihistamine also may help.
- Ask your doctor about ultraviolet light (UV) therapy.
- Apply a skin moisturizer.