Should I Go To A Cardiologist, Or Can My Internist/Family Doctor Diagnose Heart Disease?

Question: If I think I might have heart disease. Should I go to a cardiologist, or can my internist or family doctor diagnose it?

Answer: Because coronary artery disease is so common, your internist or family physician can make the diagnosis of coronary disease if you are concerned. So the first place to go is your primary care physician. In general, we would reserve treatment by a cardiologist for patients who are at very high risk of coronary disease or in whom coronary artery disease has already been diagnosed.

Next: If I Have Chest Pain, What Should I Do?


Previous: How Many Risk Factors Must I Have Before I Should Get Tested For Heart Disease?
-- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 4222349. -- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 4222349. -- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 4222349.
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...
See It, Share It
A Gilchrist county sheriffs car sits at the end of a trailer home where 7 members of a family were slain by their grandfather in Bell, FL, Thursday, Sept., 18, 2014. The grandfather, Don Spirit, pictured, also killed himself.
Phil Sandlin/AP Photo | Gilchrist County Sheriffs Office
St. Andre Bessette Catholic Church in Ecorse Michigan
PHOTO: Phoenix police officers escort Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer, to the 4th Avenue Jail following his arrest, Sept. 17, 2014 in Phoenix.
The Arizona Republic, David Kadlubowski/AP Photo