If I Have Chest Pain, What Should I Do?

Question: If I have chest pain, what should I do?

Answer: If you are a patient who knows that they already have coronary artery disease, you should discuss what to do if you develop angina pectoris with your physician. For some patients, you still should go to the emergency room by calling 9-1-1, and you still should take an aspirin. But for other patients who have chronic stable angina pectoris, then the treatment may include nitroglycerin and a phone call to your doctor for instructions about what to do next.

Next: How Can I Tell The Difference Between My Heartburn And Angina/Heart Pain?


Previous: Should I Go To A Cardiologist Or Can My Internist Or Family Doctor Diagnose Heart Disease?