Brittany Murphy and Husband Simon Monjack Died of Similar Causes

The eerily similar deaths of Brittany Murphy and her husband Simon Monjack, a mere six months apart, are "unusual" but not mold-related, says Los Angeles County assistant chief coroner Ed Winter.

Rumors flew early this week after a TMZ report suggested that toxic mold in the celebrity couple's house was to blame for their twin cases of severe anemia and fatal pneumonia. But though the house may have mold, autopsies show it "was not a factor in their death," Winter says.

VIDEO: Simon Monjack was found dead at home five months after his wife Brittany Murphys death.
Simon Monjack Found Dead

Nonetheless, Winter says the house has been reported to the Department of Public Health, as a precaution considering that two people died of respiratory illness in the same residence within a few months of each other.

"It is unusual to have two people die of similar circumstances with pneumonia. We've been looking at it and saying, 'Something isn't right.' I'm not saying you can't get pneumonia from mold, but we did all the tests on it -- mold did not come up in the toxicology reports," he says.

There had been suspicions of mold in the house last fall due to a persistent leak, but a full house inspection ordered by Monjack in October came back mold-free.

Brittany Murphy Through the Years

"Simon told Sharon and Brittany that there was no mold danger and that they could remain in the house," family spokesperson Roger Neal says.

"In fact, Simon Monjack insisted on hiring an attorney and filed a lawsuit against the builder and subcontractors" due to the inferior products used in building that may have caused the leak, Neal says.

Having not seen the report herself last fall, Sharon Murphy is currently having that report interpreted for her to verify that it was negative for mold, Neal says, and she will be amenable to any further investigations by the state.

VIDEO: Britanny Murphys mom calls 911.

Twin Deaths Possibly Linked to Lifestyle, Travel

Brittany Murphy's sudden death last December spurred rumors of anorexia, thyroid problems, even an accidental or suicidal overdose of the many prescription medications found in the house.

The coroner's conclusion was that her death was caused by a combination of acute pneumonia, severe iron deficiency in the form of anemia, and multiple drug intoxication. The drugs involved were legal, both over-the-counter and prescription, Winter says.

Months later, on May 23, Murphy's husband was found dead in the couple's bedroom. The preliminary results of his autopsy, released Wednesday, dispelled rumors of drug overdose and heart attack that had surrounded Monjack's sudden death, but created new buzz because his death was so similar to hers.

Both died from acute pneumonia and severe anemia, Winter says, though Monjack's death did not involve drug intoxication as Murphy's did.

Pneumonia usually strikes the very young or the very old, according to Dr. Clifford Bassett, a fellow of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and director of Allergy and Asthma Care of New York, so why did these two young people suffer from similar sudden illnesses?

Though mold has been ruled out by the toxicology reports, the situation is still "unusual," Winter says, and he speculates that it could have to do with the poor health and habits of the couple.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...