Air Force Docs Recount Patient With Explosive in Head

X-Rays oddities

"I think we have a problem."

Those were the words that Lt. Col. Anthony Terreri, a doctor and chief radiologist at the Craig Joint Theater Hospital at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan said he uttered to his CT scan technologists before racing to the operating room to inform the surgeon that his next patient had a bomb lodged inside his head.

Desperate situations are no rarity in any emergency operating room, of course, but rarely does the threat of a bomb come so close to the edge of the surgeon's knife as it did last month, when an Afghan National Army soldier arrived with the explosive embedded in his skull.

VIDEO: Doctors Operate on Soldier With Explosive in Skull

Following media reports last week on the incident, the doctors involved offered their first-hand accounts of the operation -- and no one knew of the explosive until Terreri had inspected the images from the CT scan.

"The first thing I did was try to adjust the contrast of the image to get a better look at the object and realized the center was not made of metal and I could see through the metal jacket," Terreri said.

What he saw was the trademark architecture of an unexploded shell. The 2.5-inch unexploded ordnance had become lodged under a portion of the patient's skull during an improvised explosive device attack.

"I went straight to the [operating room] to inform the neurosurgeon of the situation as there are procedures that have to be followed in these instances -- non-essential personnel must leave the OR, explosive ordnance team must be notified, the surgeon must wear body armor, et cetera," Terreri said.

'A Case of Murhpy's Law'

The scene that unfolded would later be described by Tech. Sgt. William Carter, a medical technician at the hospital, as "a case of Murphy's Law coming into play" -- an explosive device in an area where a full evacuation was all but impossible.

"We had an [operating room] full of trauma cases and we had people in other rooms who were busy taking care of patients," Carter said. "It was really an all-hands-on-deck event."

Major Jeffrey Rengel was the anesthesiologist who attended to the wounded soldier after the CT scan was performed.

"At the time, we were unaware of the unexploded ordnance in the patient, and proceeded as I normally would in monitoring the patient's vital signs and administering medication to provide a general anesthetic for the patient," Rengel said. "Within 10 minutes of arriving in the operating room, we were told of the potential unexploded ordnance in the patient, and the [operating room] was evacuated except for myself."

Rengel was told to don his body armor and a helmet. He then proceeded to switch off every electrical device in the operating room to decrease the chances that the device would detonate. This included all of the patient's monitoring devices, so Rengel resorted to a manual blood pressure cuff and used a portable, battery-operated pulse oximetry device to keep track of the soldier's heart rate and oxygen levels. He placed it on the patient's foot, as far from the explosive as possible.

To estimate how much anesthetic the patient was receiving, Rengel had to manually count drips per minute.

"There was a moment where I contemplated what was happening," he said. "In all honesty, I allowed myself a moment of worry, thought of my wife and kids, said a quick prayer, and then thought about how our brave men and women put themselves in harm's way every day far and above the position I found myself in right now."

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...