Mystery Terrorist Talks, India Listens

Indian authorities said today that all 10 of the terrorists who attacked the city of Mumbai last Wednesday were from Pakistan.

Police are also continuing to investigate the possibility that Mumbai locals may have provided the attackers with logistical support, Rakesh Maria, the deputy commissioner of the Mumbai police told reporters today.

Ajmal Amir Kasav, the only terrorist to have been captured alive, has been giving information freely to interrogators, Maria said.

Maria confirmed that Kasav was part of the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar e Taiba ("Army of the Righteous"). The group has fought against Indian authorities over the disputed territory of Kashmir for years and has been accused of masterminding some of the most high-profile terrorist attacks in the country.

Pakistan has denied any role in the attacks, and President Asif Ali Zardari said today he feared the incident will trigger a war between the two nuclear-armed nations.

Amateur video obtained today appears to show Kasav being set upon by a furious crowd near the Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus late Wednesday, according to The Associated Press. Moments later he was taken away by the security services.

A senior Indian police source tells ABC News that 21 year old Ajmal Amir Kasab has admitted to being a member of Lashkar e Taibba, a Pakistani Islamist group. Kasab has said he and his team had more than a year of military-style training.

New details are emerging on how the terrorists were able to move into Mumbai virtually undetected and stage attacks throughout the heart of the city. ABC News has learned that the 10 terrorists left from the Pakistani city of Karachi in a boat. En route, they hijacked an Indian trawler and used the boat's captain to bring them close to Mumbai, where they killed him.

Wednesday night at around 8:30 p.m., the attackers piled into a rubber dinghy and came ashore with bags filled of rifles, pistols, grenades, dried fruit and cell phones. From there, they broke into four teams -- some of them reportedly hailing cabs to their destinations.

At around 9:30 p.m., the shooting began. Cafe Leopold, a popular restaurant with westerners, was among the first targets, where terrorists randomly fired at diners. In rapid succession, they hit a train station, a movie theater and a hospital, and finally they dug in for the sieges inside the historic Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, the Oberoi, the Oberoi Trident Hotel and a Jewish Center.

The death toll from last week's devastating attacks has now climbed to 188, a Mumbai police spokesman confirmed. Local hospitals are now treating 313 people wounded during the assaults on the three luxury hotels and a Jewish center in the south Mumbai locality of Colaba.

The terrorists received extensive training, possibly for years, Maria said, adding, "they were not ragtag." They also intended to escape Mumbai after the attacks, but officials say it might have been a formality. One Indian official said that he believes the terrorists knew well in advance that they were on a one-way mission.

As the number of dead and injured civilians and security forces soars, heads are continuing to roll among the government.

Vilasrao Deshmukh, the chief minister of Maharashtra, which includes Mumbai, and R. R. Patil, the deputy chief minister, both tendered their resignations earlier today.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...