Cook for America founders Kate Adamick and Andrea Martin have worked with school districts to make school lunches healthier and even provide a culinary "boot camp" for food service personnel.
Their story was told on a recent "Nightline" segment, airing on Jan. 24, 2012.
Below, they offer one of their favorite recipes.
Recipe for Corn Bread with Chilies and Cheese
Serving: 32 pieces using 1 full-sized 2-inch hotel pan.
2 cups of yellow cornmeal
2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tbsp and 2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of Kosher salt
2 cups of melted butter
1 cup of sugar
8 (2 cups) of eggs (1 egg = 1/4 cup)
1 cup of green chilies, diced and drained
2 cups of low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (300°F for convection oven).
2. Spray full-sized 2-inch hotel pan with pan release spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Blend in corn, chilies, and cheddar cheese.
5. Fold together dry and wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Do not overmix.
6. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
7. Cool and cut into 8x4.