Donald Sterling's motion denied


LOS ANGELES -- The trial to decide the fate of the record-breaking $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers began Monday afternoon with the lead attorney for Shelly Sterling calling Donald Sterling as a witness and suggesting a bench warrant be issued for the owner who has been banned for life by the NBA.

Donald Sterling was not present when the trial finally began after a morning of delays while a federal court judge rejected a motion to move the case from California probate court.

Sterling's attorneys promised he would be present when court reconvened Tuesday afternoon, explaining his absence as pragmatic as the 80-year-old owner did not expect the trial to commence Monday while jurisdiction was sorted out.

"He was not here today because our expectation was that it would take some time to get a decision from the federal court and we didn't want to have him come down here and put him on in this environment," attorney Bobby Samini said. "I don't think it was an unreasonable position to take."

Sterling's attorneys alleged that his federal privacy rights were violated when his medical records were disclosed to the public. Judge George Wu denied the motion, writing that "to the extent that [Sterling's] medical records are relevant to the probate hearings, the probate court is more than capable of evaluating them and rendering a decision."

Pierce O'Donnell, an attorney for Sterling's wife, called Monday's session "a singular victory for Shelly and for Steve Ballmer and for going forward with the sale of the Clippers for the record price of $2 billion."

Ballmer's lawyer, Adam Streisand, said that he is in "constant contact with Mr. Ballmer and he's very pleased with how things are going."

Gary Ruttenberg, another attorney for Donald Sterling, cautioned that this was just the first day and that the judge's rulings might not become a factor in the final decision as to whether Shelly Sterling has the authority to complete the sale to Ballmer.

Immediately after Wu's ruling, the trial began in probate court and O'Donnell called Donald Sterling as a witness, saying that his side had subpoenaed him through one of his lawyers, Max Blecher. O'Donnell then suggested that a bench warrant could be issued in what Ruttenberg later called "as a ploy just to show he wasn't there."

Judge Michael Levanas did not immediately rule on that request, and O'Donnell moved on to his second witness, Dr. Meril Sue Platzer, who was one of the neurologists who examined Donald Sterling and deemed him mentally incapacitated and unable to conduct his legal and business affairs.

Platzer testified that she ordered PET and CT scans for Sterling at Cedar's Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles before her examination of Sterling on May 16 at his Beverly Hills residence. The examination lasted for approximately two hours, she said.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...