911 Call in Mysterious Busch Home Death Released

VIDEO: 40 minutes passed before 911 call after beer heirs girlfriend was found dead.

The mystery of an aspiring model's death in the home of former Anheuser-Busch CEO deepened when authorities released the halting 911 call that was reportedly made more than 40 minutes after Adrienne Martin was found unresponsive.

"This girl is just not waking up. We can't get her to...," a man told emergency dispatchers. When asked if Martin, 27, was still breathing, he said, "We don't know."

Martin's death was reported to the police just after 1 p.m. Dec. 19, according to the Frontenac Police Department. Her body was found in a $2 million mansion in Huntleigh, Mo., owned by August Busch IV, the former Anheuser-Busch CEO.

The call was made by a Busch employe identified as Michael Jung, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

But there was a more than 40-minute gap between the discovery of Martin's condition and the call to dispatchers, which authorities are investigating, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

In a statement over the weekend, Frontenac Police Chief Thomas Baker said Martin's body was found with "no apparent signs of trauma or other indications of cause of death."

Busch's attorney also issued a statement in which he said there was "nothing to suggest anything suspicious" about Martin's death.

Her ex-husband, Dr. Kevin J. Martin, 45, told the St. Louis Post Dispatch Friday that he did not know his ex-wife's cause of death, but he said she had a heart condition called Long QT syndrome, a rare inborn heart condition that can cause palpitations, fainting and sudden death.

Martin told the newspaper that he learned about his ex-wife's condition after performing an electrocardiogram on her after they wed in 2002. He said that she did not discuss the condition with others, and that he had not discussed it with authorities.

"She refused to see a cardiologist about it," Martin said. "I've always suspected she thought I was overreacting."

Busch is the great-great-grandson of Anheuser-Busch founder Adolphus Busch, and had been in charge of the famed brewery until 2008, when the long-time family company was sold to InBev.

Tests on Cause of Death Could Take Weeks

While officials at the Frontenac Police Department declined to speculate on what may have caused Martin's death, an unnamed source from the squad told the Post-Dispatch that an overdose was possible.

It could take as long as six weeks for the results of toxicology tests to determine whether she suffered an overdose, officials said.

St. Louis County forensic administrator Suzanne McCune said Thursday there were no signs of illness or trauma to Martin's body.

It had been widely reported that Martin and Busch had been dating for nearly a year.

In recent years, Busch had reportedly kept out of the public eye, but a 1997 profile of him in Fortune magazine described him as having a "tumultuous" history.

Known to most people as simply "The Fourth," Busch wore cowboy boots every day and spoke candidly to the magazine about his role in the company, shooting down claims that his life had been made any easier by his position of power, while still admitting that he was part of the family tradition that required all Busch babies to drink a few drops of Budweiser on the day they're born.

"People think, 'Here's a guy who's got it all -- the Busch name, the best job in the world,'" Busch told Fortune in 1997. "It's a very different reality."

Not Busch's Only Run-In With the Law

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...