Nov. 20, 2012 -- Pitbull is celebrating the release of his new (and seventh!) album, Global Warming, this week, fresh off his performances at the Latin Grammys in Las Vegas and the American Music Awards in L.A.
And though most people only know him as the life of the party, the man born Armando Christian Perez is also full of wisdom– the result of all those years spent hustling on the streets of Miami and in the music biz. He didn't just magically go from Mr. 305 to Mr. Worldwide without learning some lessons. So if he wanted to one day write a book of Pitbull Proverbs (hint, hint), he'd have a lot of material to work with.
Behold 10 of Pit's best life quotes, in no specific order. Read them, apply them to the different areas of your own life, and take over the world, baby, just like Armando did. Dale!
1. "Complacency is the cousin of death."
-from his recent Rolling Stone Latin Music special cover story, 2012
2. "I am what they thought I'd never become/I believed and became it/now I'm here to claim it/I hustle anything, you name it."
-from "Get It Started," feat. Shakira, 2012
3. "Stop the movement?/They can try if they want to/Ignorar los Latinos, si…they can try if they want to."
-from "Back In Time," 2012
4. "Life is to live it, not to let it live you."
-To me, in this on-camera interview on the set of the video for Men in Black 3's theme song, "Back in Time," 2012
5. "Look, Pitbull is a product. Don't get it fucked up – I'm a businessman. This industry is 90 percent business, 10 percent talent. It's the people who think they're talented, that their shit don't stink, who get left behind."
-from his GQ cover story, 2012
6. "It's not what you have in this life, or what you obtain; it's what you leave behind."
-from his Behind The Music special on Vh1, 2012
7. "I always tell people that I'm single, bilingual and ready to mingle!"
-from his Latina magazine cover story, 2011
8. "Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab 'em, at least you fall on top of the world. Think about it…"
-from "Give Me Everything" ft Ne-Yo & Afrojack, 2011
9. "A billion's the new million/Voli's the new vodka/Latin's the new majority/Ya tu sabes/Next step, la Casa Blanca/No hay carro, nos vamos en balsa!"
-from "Rain Over Me," feat. Marc Anthony, 2011
10. And a throwback one!
"Two things guaranteed in life/you gon' pay taxes and die but don't cry/we live like the guys who live life to the fullest and don't let anybody tell you you can't do it."
-from the remix to Gloria Estefan's song "No Llores," 2007