Poisoned in Paradise: Family Sickened by Pesticide May Receive $87 Million Payout

The family was exposed to methyl bromide while vacationing in Virgin Islands.

The family members were on their first night of vacation in 2015 when they fell ill. It turned out that a condo below the one that they rented had been sprayed with the pesticide to “deal with an indoor bug,” EPA spokeswoman Judith Enck said in an interview with ABC News last year. The teens had seizures, and the whole family had to be airlifted back to the mainland United States for treatment, she said.

In financial statements filed July 28, ServiceMaster said that it expected to make the $87 million payment as part of a “tentative settlement agreement” and that the company has already paid $3 million related to the family’s claims.

“The superseding plea agreement is subject to the approval of the court at a hearing scheduled for Aug. 25, 2016, and, if approved, will resolve the federal criminal consequences associated with the DOJ investigation,” ServiceMaster’s filing said.

ABC News’ Shahriar Rahmanzadeh and Emily Shapiro contributed to this report.