"On January 29, 2014, Justin Bieber was charged with assault in relation to an incident in Toronto that had allegedly occurred on December 29, 2013. Today we appeared in the Ontario Court of Justice in Toronto at which time that charge was withdrawn at the request of the Crown," Bieber's attorney Brian Greenspan said in a statement to ABC.
The altercation for which Bieber, 20, was originally charged involved the pop singer, friends and a limo driver who picked the group up from a local Toronto club this past December.
"We welcome the decision of the office of the Crown Attorney to withdraw the charge, having reached the conclusion that there was no reasonable prospect of conviction," the statement continued. "We have always maintained Mr. Bieber’s innocence. The withdrawal of the charge is the product of a thorough and thoughtful review of the evidence by responsible prosecutors. We thank them for their consideration."
This is good news for Bieber, who was recently arrested on Aug. 29 for an unrelated charge of dangerous driving and assault.
OPP Constable Kees Wijnands said at the time of Bieber's arrest that his driving last month in his native Canada while driving an all terrain vehicle had resulted in a collision with a van and was "a danger to the public," hence last month's arrest.
Greenspan is also Bieber's attorney in this separate case and told ABC at the time of the arrest that "Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez’ peaceful retreat in Stratford this weekend was unfortunately disrupted by the unwelcome presence of the paparazzi. This has regrettably resulted in charges of dangerous driving and assault. ... We are hopeful that this matter will be quickly resolved."