Tracy Morgan Sustained 'a Traumatic Brain Injury' in Crash, His Lawyer Says

His lawyer doesn't know if the comedian will be "the Tracy Morgan he once was."

ByABC News
November 18, 2014, 5:38 PM

— -- Tracy Morgan sustained a brain injury in a limo van accident that was so traumatic that his lawyer said he may never again be "the Tracy Morgan he once was."

Benedict Morelli told the Associated Press that Morgan, who was involved in a crash on the New Jersey Turnpike this past June, also suffered a broken leg, nose and ribs.

"When you have a traumatic brain injury it takes a very long time to find out how you're going to do and how much you're going to recover," Morelli told the AP. "You just don't know. So that's where he is. He's still fighting and trying to live his life at the same time and trying to get better, and he's just not better. We're hoping and praying to get him back to where he was. But the jury's out."

Five months ago, Wal-Mart truck driven by Kevin Roper crashed into a vehicle carrying Morgan and his entourage. One person, James McNair, was killed, while three were injured. Morgan, 46, was hospitalized for several weeks after the accident.

"He's fighting to get better, and if there's a chance for him to be back to the Tracy Morgan he once was, he's going to try to do that," Morelli said. "But we just don't know because of the severity of the injuries that he sustained and the fact that he had such a severe brain injury."

Today, Morelli appeared in court because Morgan has since filed suit against Wal-Mart and a judge was set to determine a schedule for proceedings. Roper, who was not named in Morgan's suit, has been charged with death by auto and four counts of assault by auto in state court. He pleaded not guilty in June. The AP reported that he has filed to have Morgan's lawsuit delayed in light of his case and a judge is expected to rule on that next month.

In the weeks following the crash, a preliminary investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board showed that Roper, who prosecutors say had been awake for 24 hours before the crash, was going 65 m.p.h. -- 20 m.p.h. over the speed limit.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.