Female Cop Says Lacrosse Murder Suspect Once Threatened to Kill Her

UVA's nationally ranked Lacrosse teams decide to play in NCAA tournament.

May 03, 2010, 2:33 PM

May 5, 2010— -- The University of Virginia lacrosse player charged with murdering his girlfriend was once Tasered by a female police officer because he became combative, shouted obscenities at her and threatened to kill her in a drunken rage.

The 2008 incident came to light amid reports that authorities discovered a red-stained shirt during a search earlier this week of accused murderer George Huguely's campus apartment.

Huguely, 22, is charged with killing his girlfriend, Yeardley Love. Among the items taken from Huguely's apartment was a letter addressed to the slain student. The two had recently gone through a bad break up.

Police took several other items from Huguely's home, including two laptops, a notebook and a pair of shorts, the Charlottesville Daily Progress reported.

This week's arrest wasn't the first for Huguely.

Huguely was arrested in November 2008 when he was found stumbling through traffic after a party at a friend's fraternity in Lexington, Va., Lexington Police Chief Al Thomas told ABCNews.com.

When confronted by Officer R.L. Moss, "Huguely became combative physically and starting shouting obscenities," said Thomas.

Moss, who Thomas described as a "petite" female officer, "deployed her Taser in order to gain control of Huguely," the chief said.

Moss told the Washington Post that Huguely threatened her.

"'He said: 'I'll kill you. I'll kill all of y'all. I'm not going to jail,'" Moss told the paper. Messages left for Moss by ABCNews.com were not immediately returned.

A Rockbridge, Va., courthouse clerk confirmed to ABC News that Huguely was charged with public intoxication, resisting arrest and public swearing. He received 60-day suspended sentence, six months probation, a $100 fine and was required to complete 50 hours of community service and attend substance abuse counseling. According to the clerk, Huguely completed all of these requirements.

Huguely had two other run-ins with the law. In September 2007 he was booked for reckless driving after speeding at 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. In November 2007, he was arrested for possession of alcohol as a minor when he was 19.

In the wake of the UVA murder, Huguely is being kept on 23-hour segregated lockdown in jail, allowed no visitors except his lawyer.

Huguely 22, confessed to police, according to search warrants in the case, that in the early morning hours Monday, he kicked in the door to Yeardley Love's bedroom and shook her violently, repeatedly banging her head against the wall.

Yeardley, also 22, was on the school's female varsity lacrosse team.

UVA's male lacrosse team is ranked No. 1 in the country and the women's team is ranked No. 5. The school has decided that the teams will both compete in the NCAA tournament for the national championship in Love's memory.

Click here to read the police report on George Huguely

"A part of their healing will be getting our students back into some of their routines. In the case of the women's and men's programs, our lacrosse teams will honor Yeardley by continuing their seasons," school Athletic Director Craig Littlepage said.

"I am proud of the dignified way in which our students and coaches have responded to such a traumatic situation," he added.

Love's body was found Monday after an early morning 911 call, face down on her pillow in a pool of blood. Her face was covered in scrapes and bruises, according to the warrant, and her right eye was swollen shut. A large bruise on the right side of her face "appears to have been caused by blunt force trauma," according to a police request for a search warrant.

The brutality of the crime moved Charlottesville, Va., Police Chief Timothy Longo nearly to tears.

"I'm a 47-year-old with children the age of both these individuals," he said. "You're looking at a child."

Lacrosse Suspect George Huguely Had a Temper

"Tragedy is an understatement," Love's longtime friend Kendall Spera said. "There's nothing to say that can convey how terrible it is."

"She had a real kindness about her," Spera, her friend of 10 years, said. "She had very kind eyes. She was so humble. She just was a sweetheart."

Friends said Huguely had a temper and problems with alcohol.

According to the documents, Huguely, waived his Miranda rights Monday and spoke with police, telling them how he kicked through a door on his way to Love's bedroom. Police reported that it looked like the door to her room had been punched through, with hairs still visible hear the hole.

Huguely had cuts on his leg, the document said. Police said they would X-ray his hands and closely examine other injuries that Huguely attributed to lacrosse.

Huguely's lawyer Francis Lawrence said Tuesday during a bond hearing that Love's death was an "accident."

"We are confident that Ms. Love's death was not intended, but an accident with a tragic outcome," Lawrence said.

Love was already dead when police arrived, though rescue personnel tried to revive her.

Huguely told police he and Love had broken up and that he had communicated with her through emails. Before leaving her room, Huguely told police according to the documents, he took her communications and "disposed of it." The police document says Huguely told investigators where to find Love's computer.

Stephen Murman, central regional director for the Virgnia Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, told ABCNews.com that an autopsy was performed on Love's body Tuesday, the procedure attended by police officials. He did not release an official cause of death.

They expect to release the body to her family soon.

Huguely Withdraws From UVA on Last Day of Classes

Huguely appeared at the hearing by videoconference wearing a gray-striped jail uniform. He spoke only at the end of the hearing to say, "Thank you your honor." His parents sat in the audience, but said nothing.They later left through a back entrance without talking to reporters.

Outside the court, Lawrence said Huguely had withdrawn from the university Tuesday, the last day of classes before finals.

"Until more information becomes available," he said, "it is our hope that no conclusions will be drawn or judgments made about George or his case."

The couple, both from well-to-do Maryland families, had been dating for about a year and a half. Their on and off relationship had grown volatile in the weeks before her death, friends said.

The families are saying little, but Huguely's grandfather George Huguely III said publicly that Huguely is "a good kid" and that "hopefully he will be graduating."

Longo said that investigators were withholding information about Love's death, including a possible motive, even to the students' families in order to build as strong a case as possible.

"There's still plenty of people we want to talk to, interviews that need to be done," he said.

It appears, he said, that there were no witnesses to Love's death or the moments that led up to it.

"He appeared upset by the circumstances he found himself in," Longo said of Huguely. "He was cooperative, [but] he was obviously distraught."

Their player profiles on the university's sports website show talented athletes from promising backgrounds.

Love hailed from Cockeysville, Md., and attended the prestigious Notre Dame Preparatory School where she was all-county. At UVA, she was a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority.

Huguely, according to his athletic profile, was All-American in high school.

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events