Survivors Say Fort Hood Gunman Shot the Wounded Again

Survivors of Fort Hood massacre say he shot the wounded again.

November 05, 2009, 3:35 PM

Nov. 7, 2009 — -- Survivors of the Fort Hood massacre described today how Major Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly gunned down unarmed soldiers, and then shot them again as they lay wounded on the floor.

Investigators believe more than 100 shots were fired from Hasan's gun in a matter of minutes. He was described as calm and methodical in his attack, pausing only to reload.

Soldier Keara Bono survived the onslaught although she was wounded slightly in the back and grazed in the head.

Bono told "Good Morning America" today that she initially thought the scene of Hasan standing up, praising Allah and starting to fire was a drill. She didn't believe it was real even when she felt her own blood, she said.

"Then I looked to my left and right and I saw people that were bleeding," she said. That's when Bono realized that Hasan's rampage wasn't a drill.

"I started crawling, I called 911 with my phone to my side... and I turned back and looked at him. He was about two body lengths away from me, longways, shooting people on the ground still. So I was just waiting to get shot in the back," she said.

Bono instead made it to a cubicle and around the corner out of sight where a sergeant and other soldiers were hiding.

The sergeant "was telling us to see over the cubicles which way the man was going. We were shuffling back and forth. As soon as I heard him stop firing, I ran out the front door," she said.

Grant Moxon of Wisconsin was one of the first to be hit, but he survived Hasan's killing rage by playing dead until the shooting was over.

Moxon's father, Dave, told "GMA" that his son came face to face with the alleged killer.

"He said he looked up, and this guy is standing there looking at him right in the face. All of a sudden, he pulled up a gun and started shooting," Dave Moxon said.

The shooting didn't stop until police Sgt. Kimberly Munley knocked Hasan down in a brief, viscious gun battle.

President Obama Baffled By Fort Hood Rampage

Dr. W. Roy Smythe of Scott and White Memorial Hospital, where some of the most severely injured patients were treated, said today that "some of the injuries are so severe only time will tell how they'll do in the long run."

The doctor said some of the wounded would be "physically impaired," while others would be "psychologically impaired" as a result of the shooting.

Hasan remains at a military hospital in nearby San Antonio where source say he is paralyzed from his injuries. Munley, also remains hospitalized.

Thirteen people were killed in the attack – 12 soldiers and one civilian – and another 38 were injured. Late Friday, Army Col. John Rossi said 23 people were still hospitalized, half of those in critical condition.

A Pentagon official told ABC News that the bodies were flown to Dover where combat deaths from Iraq and Afghanistan are traditionally taken. The Fort Hood victims were greeted at Dover by Admiral Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

At Dover, the bodies will undergo autopsies there and be prepared for burial before being returned to Fort Hood either today or Sunday.

"We view these soldiers as warriors just like those killed in a war zone… We don't want anyone to think of them as just having been gunned down in a mass shooting," the Pentagon official said.

In his weekly address today, President Obama said the fact that U.S. soldiers were targeted made the attack was particularly heinous.

"It is a crime that would have horrified us had its victims been Americans of any background," Obama said. "But it's all the more heartbreaking and all the more despicable because of the place where it occurred and the patriots who were its victims."

The president was a baffled as the rest of the country by the bloody burst of violence.

"We cannot fully know what leads a man to do such a thing," Obama said.

Obama is planning to attend the memorial service on Tuesday at Fort Hood. He has also ordered flags to be flown at half staff in Washington and at military bases around the world through Veterans' Day in honor of the fallen.

The Pentagon official said investigators are not seeing one single motive for Hasan's bloody outburst.

"I think it will be a mixed picture," the official said. He cited Hasan's possible stress as a psychiatrist wroking with war victims at Walter Reed Hospital, and the increasing conflict between his devout religious beliefs and being a soldier. Hasan is a Muslim.

Bono, who was released from the hospital Friday, said she is still planning on her deployment.

"I still have a duty to perform and if my commander is still willing to let us go, then yes I'm going to go," she said.

As for Hasan, Bono said she really hadn't stopped yet to be angry.

"I think he's very selfish, what he did," she said.

American Muslims were braced for a backlash after Hasan's deadly shooting spree.

Army veteran Osman Danquah, a Muslim, said Hasan was soft spoken, but was obviously conflicted about the Army's participation in the war on terror.

"I wasn't much impressed with him when we had a couple of conversations," Danquah told "GMA."

Danquah said Hasan wanted to know, as a psychiatrist, what he was supposed to tell soldiers who had resentment about going to war.

"My response was that it's volunteers," Danquah said. "It's an all volunteer Army. No one is drafted into the Army."

Family of Alleged Fort Hood Gunman Expressed Sympathy for Victims

Hasan's cousin, Nader Hasan, issued a statement late Thursday.

"We are shocked and saddened by the terrible events at Fort Hood today. We send the families of the victims our most heartfelt sympathies," the statement read. "Nidal was an American citizen. He was born in Arlington, Va., and raised here in America. ... Our family loves America. We are proud of our country, and saddened by today's tragedy."

Nader Hasan said that she believed it was his upcoming deployment combined with the wartime horror stories he heard from his patients that set him off.

Hasan had reportedly recently hired an attorney to help him get out of the military.

According to the suspect's cousin, Hasan was also harassed after 9/11 because of his ethnicity, and was called a "camel jockey."

An Army official confirmed that Hasan would have been deployed to Afghanistan later this month. Sources told ABC News that this would have been his first deployment.

ABC News' Martha Raddatz contributed to this report

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events