Feb. 6, 2004 -- When most people think of low-carb diets, they picture a big, juicy steak.
As part of Good Morning America's "Cut the Carbs, Lose the Weight" series, Chef Todd English, of Olives in Charlestown, Mass., made a skirt steak with balsamic marinade and garlic-grilled radicchio.
• 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped• 1/4 cup olive oil• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar• 1 teaspoon kosher salt• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper• 4 large heads radicchio, halved through the root • Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. Place the garlic, olive oil, rosemary, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Add the radicchio and gently toss so that it is well coated. Cover and let marinate at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
3. Place the radicchio in a baking pan and pour the marinade on top. Place in the oven and roast until the edges of the radicchio are crisp and almost beginning to look burnt, about 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Serve immediately, with grated Parmesan cheese. Serves 12
• 2 roasted garlic cloves • 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro •Grated zest of 1/2 lemon • 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar • 2 Tbsp. olive oil• 1.5 pounds skirt steak • 1 tsp. kosher salt • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1. To make the marinade, mix the Dijon mustard with chopped cilantro, lemon zest, balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp. Olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Soak the steak in the marinade for one hour in covered container.
2. Use a broiler and cook the steak, with garlic cloves, for 5 minutes on each side, with broiler set to high. Or, fry the steak in a heavy pan with 2 cloves of garlic.
As an alternate, you can sear in a grill pan on top of stove over high heat and then place in a 450 F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, to desired doneness (130 degrees with instant read thermometer would equal medium rare) Use salt and pepper to season steak and serve with radicchio.
Skirt Steak:345 Calories Per ServingLess than 1 Gram of Carbohydrates
Radicchio:48 Calories Per Serving2 Grams of Carbohydrates
Recipe by Executive Chef Todd English