March 25, 2011 -- • Feed your dog a complete and balanced food that contains antioxidants.
• Avoid exposure to toxins and chemicals as much as possible.
• Don't expose your pet to second hand cigarette smoke.
• Give your pet a healthy varied diet -- making sure to include lots of meat, fresh vegetables and fruit.
• As always, lots of exercise -- the benefits are multiple both for you and your pet!
• If going to boarding kennels causes your pet undue stress, consider investigating other options. Stress can weaken your pet's immune system and make him/her more susceptible to infection.
• Talk to a holistic vet before immunizing your pet. Over-vaccination may stress the immune system unnecessarily.
• Should your pet contract an illness, be a considerate pet owner and keep your coughing furry companion away from other pets.
CLICK HERE for more great pet care tips and advice from Good Morning America.