What Are The Different Types Of Intraocular Lens Implants And How Do I Decide On Which One To Get?

Dr. Greenstein answers the question: 'Types Of Intraocular Lens Implants?'

ByABC News
December 23, 2008, 5:52 PM

Aug. 24, 2009— -- Question: What are the different types of intraocular lens implants and how do I decide on which one to get?

Answer: There are three major types of intraocular lenses that are in use today. The most commonly used intraocular lens is called a monofocal lens. This is a lens that the eye surgeon will calculate to give a patient very good distance vision with minimal dependence on glasses. However, reading glasses are usually necessary. Some newer advances in the last couple of years include what's called a toric lens, which is a lens that corrects for astigmatism and is typically calculated to give a person the best possible vision, again for distance vision with correcting astigmatism, that up until now would have to depend on eyeglass correction.

A third type of lens is a multifocal, or presbyopia, correcting lens. These are the lenses that correct a person's vision for distance- as well as near-vision. The doctor will decide based on a person's particular anatomy, as well as their needs and as well as their personality, which lens is best for them.