If I Find A Lump, Do I See a Cancer Specialist or My Regular Doctor?

Question: If I find a breast lump, should I go to a cancer specialist or my regular doctor?

Answer: Breast lumps occur very commonly in women, and what we typically counsel a patient to do is to approach their primary care physician with that problem. The important point to keep in mind is that most lumps that women identify in their breast are not cancer. They should not ignore them, and if they're concerned about them they should direct their questions and have their primary care physician -- be it an internist, family practitioner or gynecologist -- perform an exam.

Next: How Long Can I Wait After Finding a Lump to See a Doctor?

Previous: What Should I Do if I Find a Lump or Thickening in My Breast?