Doctor Gunned Down at Brigham and Women's Hospital Dies

Police say the shooter entered the hospital asking for the doctor he later shot.

ByABC News
January 20, 2015, 11:03 PM

— -- A doctor who was shot by a lone gunman today at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston has died, police said.

The victim, Dr. Michael Davidson, 44, of Wellesley, Massachusetts, succumbed to his injuries late today. The gunman, who is also dead, was identified by police as Stephen Pasceri, 55, of Millbury, Massachusetts. He entered the building this morning asking by name for the doctor he would soon shoot, authorities said.

Police received a 911 call at 11:07 a.m. that a doctor had been shot on the second floor, Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said at a news conference at the hospital this afternoon.

"He was targeted and that reason right now is unclear," Evans said. "There was something in the past that upset this guy."

Police found a man matching the shooting suspect's description dead in an examining room of what they believe to be a "self-inflicted gunshot wound," Evans said. They said they did not think he was a patient.

The hospital lists Davidson as director, Endovascular Cardiac Surgery, at Brigham and Women's as well as an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School.

"Dr. Davidson was a wonderful and inspiring cardiac surgeon who devoted his career to saving lives and improving the quality of life of every patient he cared for. It is truly devastating that his own life was taken in this horrible manner. At this time, Dr. Davidson’s family has requested privacy, and we ask for your support in honoring their request during this very difficult time. At this time, no one from BWH will be available to comment further," the hospital said in a statement.

The shooting occurred in the Carl J. and Ruth Shapiro Cardiovascular Center on the second floor, authorities said. The doctor was shot in a foyer between the waiting area and the examining area, and Evans said hospital staff whisked him away to the emergency room.

Evans said the Boston Police Department got to the hospital "within seconds" and secured the floor. The department tweeted shortly before noon that the "situation [is] under control," and that the gun had been recovered.

The hospital did not have metal detectors, police said.