The cookies sold by Silver Lake Cookie Co. of Islip, New York, were voluntarily recalled because they contained eggs without listing the ingredient on the label, which poses a risk to people allergic to eggs, at worst causing a life-threatening allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. The recall states that no one has become ill as a result of eating the cookies.
There are no reported illnesses to date associated with this recall.
Ninety percent of all allergies are caused by milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soybeans, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. As a result, these ingredients are required to appear on all food labels as part of the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004. When they don't, they are often recalled.
"Families and individuals managing egg allergy depend on accurate labels to help them make informed choices, avoid reactions and stay safe," said Dr. James Baker Jr., CEO of the nonprofit group FARE, which stands for Food Allergy Research and Education. "Food products that are mislabeled or that contain trace amounts of a food protein due to cross-contact have the potential to cause allergic reactions."
Silver Lake Cookie did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment.