The products were distributed in New York and Connecticut between Sept. 6 and Sept. 16, according to a company statement released by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday. No illnesses have been reported in connection to the recalled products.
Hernan Hurtado, vice president of Mt. Kisco Smokehouse, told ABC News today that the bacteria was found in a drain and floor cracks during a routine inspection by the FDA.
Hurtado said that, after an extensive cleaning, the company brought in technicians who "conducted a thorough swabbing for listeria."
"The whole place was swabbed and we're clean right now," he said.
Concerned customers can contact the company at 914-244-0702, Monday through Saturday 9:00 am to 5:30 pm EST.
The whole fish product was packed in unlabeled paper boxes and delivered to restaurants, according to the company's statement. The sliced product was sold in a clear plastic package and labeled on the back with lot numbers and "Use By" dates as follows:
Atlantic Smoked Salmon Whole
- lot # 13723516 USE BY 09 12 16
- lot # 12125316 USE BY 09 30 16
Sliced – Smoked ATLANTIC SALMON, Net Wt. 8 Oz (225.89)
- lot # 12125116 USE BY 09 28 16
- lot # 12125216 USE BY 09 29 16
- lot # 11325716 USE BY 10 03 16
- lot # 11325816 USE BY 10 05 16
The company issued the recall as a precaution, though no food products have been confirmed to be contaminated.
Listeria contamination, caused by the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes, can cause dangerous infections, especially in pregnant women or people with compromised immune systems.
Symptoms of the foodborne illness include fever, muscle aches, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms. In severe cases, the infections can cause stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Nearly everyone infected with the bacteria ends up with an invasive infection, meaning it moves outside the gastrointestinal tract.
The disease causes 1,600 illnesses and 260 deaths every year in the U.S. according to the latest CDC statistics, from 2011. In pregnant women, the infection is associated with miscarriage and stillbirth.