Copenhagen Synagogue Shooting Victim Dies; City on Edge After Two Attacks

Shooting comes less than 24 hours after one was killed in a cafe shooting.

— -- A person who was shot in the head in an attack near a Copenhagen synagogue has died, Danish police said tonight, but there was no word on whether that incident, in which two cops were also wounded, was related to another fatal shooting earlier in the day.

"We feel certain now that it is a politically motivated attack, and thereby it is a terrorist attack," Danish Prime Minister Helle Thornin-Schmidt said of the cafe shooting.

Police tweeted early Sunday local time that officers shot a man at the city's Norrebro train station, but did not say whether it was connected to the shootings at the synagogue and the cafe. They also said the condition of the person shot was unknown.

Officials also said that residents should continue about their regular routine as there is a "massive presence of police in Copenhagen."

Police initially said they were looking for two shooters in the attack at the cafe, but after interviews with witnesses they said they believed there was only one.

They released a security photo of the suspect, showing a man in a dark coat, with what appeared to be a reddish hat and scarf covering much of his face.

The shooting happened about 4 p.m. at an event titled "Art, Blasphemy and Freedom of Expression," organized by Swedish artist Lars Vilks, who has faced several threats after caricaturing the Prophet Muhammad.

Vilks, 68, who was not injured in the shooting, said he believed he was the intended target.

The shooting happened a month after gunmen opened fire on the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine in Paris, killing 12 people.

The windows of the cafe were riddled with dozens of bullet holes, reported Danish news channel TV2.

The conditions of the three officers injured were not released by police, according to the AP. The 40-year-old victim was not identified.

While no one has claimed responsibility for the shooting, one of the organizers, Helle Merete Brix, told the AP she felt Vilks was targeted.

"I saw a masked man running past," Brix said. "I clearly consider this as an attack on Lars Vilks."