Family's Home Burns Down on First Night: 'We Fought for Everything'

The Rodriguez's new house went up in flames two days after they closed.

— -- A Massachusetts family is heartbroken after a fire engulfed their new home the very first night they moved in.

"We fought for everything..." Anthony Rodriguez of Winchendon, Massachusetts, told ABC affiliate WCVB-TV in Boston. "We really wanted to provide our family with a decent home and to watch it get taken away like that is sad."

Rodriguez and his wife Nicole said they closed on their home Thursday, April 28, and moved in two days later.

On May 1, the couple and three of their five children were awoken by fire alarms.

The heavy blaze quickly took over the two-story home and all of the family's possessions.

"We have our lives, our children are safe," Nicole Rodriguez said. "We got out. They're fine. No one's hurt. And, to me, that's a miracle."

Captain Marty Brooks of the Winchendon Fire Department said the fire, which occurred around 1:35 a.m. on Sunday morning, is still under the investigation by the fire marshal.

The Rodriguez's were awoken by the fire alarm system and all got out safely, he added.

"This was probably the first I've ever heard of it for somebody to first get into their home, on their first night and to see it go up in smokes," Brooks told ABC News. "They save d all their life to get their house -- their dream house, I guess. It's fortunate they're OK. No pets, no injuries on scene and the house can be replaced. Life can't be replaced."

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events