— -- When Carolyn Harbaugh heard about the “Good Morning America” Slam, Bam, Glam makeover, she jumped at the chance to embrace a new look.
“I'm turning 30 this year. And I think it would be fun to have a new and fresh look for entering a new stage in my life,” the New Jersey native said. “And I think a new look and a new makeover translates well to dating and to meeting someone.”
Among Harbaugh’s challenges are her hair and wardrobe. She likes having longer hair, but admits she doesn’t know whether she manages it “in the best way.”
Harbaugh works in finance, so she’s typically required to dress conservatively at work. She wants to focus on looks that can take her from the office to an evening out.
“You know, with work … it's more suiting. It's more structured,” she said. “It does make it challenging when transitioning from day to night.”
Asked who her style icon is, Harbaugh replied: “Kate Middleton,” adding: “I think she looks so beautiful and so glamorous everywhere that she goes. And, you know, it's something that's feminine while being a little bit edgy.”
The “GMA” beauty team -- fashion guru Gretta Monahan, celebrity hair stylist Ted Gibson and makeup artist Mally Roncal -- took charge of Harbaugh, and, live on "GMA," gave her the transformation she’d been dreaming of, just in time for her birthday in the fall.
Harbaugh emerged on "GMA" wearing a classic black dress with high heels and a new hair color: red.
"It's really cool," said Harbaugh. "I love it."
Harabaugh's hair was also longer, thanks to hair extensions.
"I think she looks great," said her mom, Elizabeth. "She looks beautiful."
Keep reading for extra tips from the "GMA" beauty team - Monahan, Roncal and Gibson - to try at home.
Bonus Beauty Tips
Mally Roncal’s Makeup Tips
- To achieve dramatic smoky eye, start by applying an eye-shadow base to make your shadow color bulletproof and not smudge. Take the lightest shade from your palette and dust it lightly over the entire lid, all the way to the brow bone. Next, apply a medium tone from the lash line to just past the crease of your eye. Then, take the darkest tone and run that over the lash-line. Use an eye pencil in black or gray and apply it to the inner corner of your eye. To make your eyes really standout, apply eyeliner to the inner rim of your eye. Finish off the look with gorgeous lashes using a volumizing mascara to make them pop.
- Keep your look lasting fresh through the night with a mattifying finisher.
Ted Gibson’s Hair Tips
- I've said it before and I'll say it again: Clip-in extensions are a great and simple way to switch up your look and add both volume and length to your hair. Simply ask your stylist to create a few pieces for you and show you how to place them in your hair. You'll be surprised at how simple it is to do and how much it can change your look.
- Red is such a beautiful color and is perfect for the dating woman. It's sexy, bold and screams for attention. Try a red hue for this fall season.
- Bangs are super flirty, sexy and youthful. I believe they add a bit of mystery and fashion to any look. If you're afraid to make the commitment, try a clip-in bang and see how you like them.
Gretta Monahan's Fashion Tips
- Choosing a dress with a little surprise detail works well for day to evening.
- Accessories are the easiest way to transform your look from day to night, so pack a sparkly necklace or statement jewelry and fun night shoes in your work tote to switch up the outfit.