The Los Angeles Office of Historical Resources on Wednesday put a 75-day hold on the two-bedroom home that is said to be the Disney founder’s first home in Los Angeles.
Ken Bernstein, the Office of Historical Resources' manager and principal city planner, told ABC News his department took action after the home’s current owners applied for a demolition permit.
“We initiated the hold for three reasons,” Bernstein said. “The demolition appeared imminent, we had already identified the property as significant in our city-wide survey, and because of the iconic status of Walt Disney to Los Angeles and Southern California and internationally.”
The Disney brothers would go on to co-found a movie studio and open Disney theme parks. Disney is the parent company of ABC News.
The home’s current owners, identified by city records as Sang Ho Yoo and Krystal Soonbae Kim Yoo, could not be immediately reached by ABC News.
Bernstein said his office is now in the process of putting together a “more comprehensive nomination” for the property to be considered as a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.
“It is not a step we take lightly,” Bernstein said. “This is so the property’s history can be fully evaluated before any demolition could be considered.”
Once the nomination is submitted, it will go to the city’s Cultural Heritage Commission. The final decision will be made by the Los Angeles City Council.
Bernstein said he expects the Cultural Heritage Commission hearing to not happen until September.