President Donald Trump did not rule out seeking a third term for president when asked by NBC on Sunday, saying, “There are methods which you could do it."
“A lot of people want me to do it,” Trump said Sunday. “But, I mean, I basically tell them we have a long way to go, you know, it’s very early in the administration.”
Meanwhile, tariffs on imported autos are to go into effect on Wednesday. While economist predict Trump's tariffs will raise prices in the U.S., his tariffs czar, Peter Navarro, predicted they would result in tax cuts: "Tariffs are tax cuts, tariffs are jobs, tariffs are national security, tariffs are great for America," Navarro told Fox News.
Trump says he remains confident in national security adviser Michael Waltz
President Donald Trump told NBC News he remains confident in his national security advisor, Michael Waltz, after the use of an unsecured message chain to discuss a U.S. attack on Houthis in Yemen.
"Michael Waltz has learned a lesson, and he's a good man," Trump told NBC correspondent Garrett Haake.
President Donald Trump attends a Greek Independence Day celebration event at the White House in Washington, Mar. 24, 2025.
Will Oliver/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
The Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg, who was inadvertently added to the Signal group chat, told ABC News Live anchor Linsey Davis that he initially responded to a request to connect by someone purporting to be Waltz and the user identified as Waltz put together a group chat with other high-ranking White House officials to discuss military action in Yemen.
Mar 25, 2025, 9:07 AM EDT
Top intelligence officials to testify on Capitol Hill
Amid scrutiny over the Trump administration's use of an unsecured message chain to discuss sensitive war plans, some top officials are slated to appear before lawmakers for a previously scheduled hearing on worldwide threats.
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, FBI Director Kash Patel and National Security Agency Director Timothy Haugh will testify at 10 a.m. ET before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
Republican Sen. Tom Cotton, the chairman of the panel, said on Fox News on Tuesday morning that the Signal chain will "obviously" be discussed during the hearing.
Mar 24, 2025, 7:35 PM EDT
Hegseth denies 'war plans' were discussed on Signal chat
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth denied that war plans were sent over a Signal group chat in his first comments about The Atlantic story that broke while he was en route to Hawaii.
"I've heard how it was characterized. Nobody was texting war plans, and that's all I have to say about that," Hegseth told reporters in brief remarks after arriving in Honolulu for a layover on a trip to Asia.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to reporters at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam on Oahu, Hawaii, March 24, 2025.
Pool
He also criticized Atlantic editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg, the article’s author, as "a deceitful and highly discredited, so-called journalist who's made a profession of peddling hoaxes time and time again."
"This is the guy that pedals in garbage. This is what he does," he added.
Top Democrats have called for an investigation into the incident.
"The leak of sensitive national security information by the Trump administration on a non-classified system is completely outrageous and shocks the conscience," House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said in a statement.
-ABC News' Luis Martinez
Mar 24, 2025, 6:21 PM EDT
Trump portrait in Colorado State Capitol to be removed, state officials say
The portrait of President Donald Trump in the Colorado State Capitol will be removed, according to the Colorado House Democrats, a day after the president called for what he says is a "distorted" painting of himself to be taken down.
"Republican leadership asked for it to be taken down," a spokesperson for the Colorado House Democrats said in a statement to ABC News on Monday. "The Speaker and Majority Leader are focused on keeping Coloradans safe and reducing costs, not hanging portraits. If the GOP wants to spend time and money on which portrait of Trump hangs in the Capitol, then that’s up to them."
President Donald Trump's portrait hangs in the Colorado Capitol after an unveiling ceremony, Aug. 1, 2019, in Denver.
Thomas Peipert/AP, FILE
The spokesperson provided ABC News with a copy of a letter from the legislature's Executive Committee of the Legislative Council directing staff "to immediately remove the portrait of President Donald Trump from its current display location on the third floor of the Capitol. The removed portrait shall be stored in a secure and appropriate location, as determined by the Director of Research of Legislative Council Staff, until further notice."
Colorado state Senate Minority Leader Paul Lundeen, a Republican, confirmed in a statement to ABC News that he requested that Trump's portrait be taken down be replaced with one that "depicts his contemporary likeness."
ABC News has reached out to the Colorado governor's office.
In a post on Truth Social on Sunday, Trump attacked the artist of the painting, claiming "she must have lost her talent as she got older" and that people from Colorado have complained about the work.