Body Found Floating in Indiana Lake Linked to Missing Michigan Doctor

Teleka Patrick mysteriously disappeared last December.

April 6, 2014— -- Police are investigating a possible link between a body recovered today in a town park in Indiana and Dr. Teleka Patrick, a Michigan woman who mysteriously vanished last December.

The body was spotted by a fisherman who reported to police that he had spotted something suspicious floating in Lake Charles, in the town of Porter, Ind., just after 7 a.m. today, authorities said.

A female body dressed in dark clothing was recovered from the lake by Indiana State Police and members of the SCUBA team and Porter Fire and Rescue Department who arrived at the scene.

There were "no obvious external signs of trauma to the body," Porter County Coroner Chuck Harris said. "There is some decomposition, so it's hard to tell for sure."

The autopsy will be performed Tuesdayand the identification of body should be confirmed by Wednesday, he said.

Police said they could not positively identify the body until after the autopsy, but Patrick's family issued a statement saying authorities told them the body could be their daughter's.

"Our family was informed that a body was found that may be our daughter Teleka Patrick," the family said. "We are waiting for official confirmation from the Kalamazoo Sheriff's Department and have no comment at this time. Thank you for your continued prayers -- we ask that you respect our privacy at this difficult time."

Patrick, 30, was a first-year medical resident in psychiatry at Borgess Medical Center in Kalamazoo, Mich. She was last seen on Dec. 5 around 8 p.m. in a surveillance video at a Radisson Hotel just five minutes from her home.

According to investigators, a Radisson hotel employee said she appeared agitated when he turned her away after she tried to pay for a room in cash.

Two hours later, more than 100 miles away, Patrick's car, a gold Lexus, was found in a ditch on the side of the road with a flat tire. Her wallet was inside, but no sign of car keys.

Patrick was reported missing the following day when she failed to turn up at her work, where investigators also later found Patrick's purse and cellphone.

Police said the investigation is ongoing and would not release any further details at this time.

ABC News' Anna Wild contributed to this report.