Arrests in Ferguson Follow Police Chief's Apology

Police chief apologized to Michael Brown's family earlier in the day.

— -- A small group of protesters engaged in a standoff with police in Ferguson, Missouri, early this morning after several arrests outside the department's police station.

Ferguson police chief Tom Jackson, who earlier in the day apologized to the family of Michael Brown, came out to address the crowd late Thursday.

“All those things that are causing mistrust are being evaluated and we are going to be making changes," he told the protesters, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Jackson then began marching with the protesters when a skirmish broke out. At least four people were arrested, reported the newspaper.

A video posted online by St. Louis Public Radio reporter Chris McDaniel shows officers and protesters pushing and shoving, knocking several people to the ground.

Police then stood in a line outside the station as protesters lined up across the street from them.

A memorial for Brown, the 18-year-old shot and killed by a Ferguson police officer on August 9, was burned earlier this week before protesters looted a store in Ferguson.

In the video, Jackson apologized for how long Brown's body remained in the street after his death.

"I want to say this to the Brown family: No one who has not experienced the loss of a child can understand what you're feeling," Jackson said in the video. "I'm truly sorry for the loss of your son. I'm also sorry that it took so long to remove Michael from the street."

Brown's family hadn't seen the video as of Thursday afternoon, said their attorney, Benjamin Crump.

Brown was unarmed when he was shot six times by officer Darren Wilson. Weeks of protests and some incidents of looting following after the shooting outraged the Ferguson community.

Apology by Ferguson Police Chief Not Heard by Michael Brown's Parents

Justice Department Investigates Ferguson Police

Protesters Loot Store in Ferguson After Fire Destroyed Michael Brown Memorial

Wilson, who has been suspended with pay, claimed he was injured in a confrontation with Brown. A state grand jury is investigating whether he should face criminal charges.

The Department of Justice is also looking into the case.