A Gun Shop and an Uber Ride: The Alleged Whereabouts of Accused Uber Driver Hours Before Shootings

Six were killed and two were injured in the shooting spree.

— -- The Michigan man accused of killing six people and injuring two others in a shooting spree Saturday allegedly bought a tactical jacket at a gun shop and then picked up an Uber passenger just hours before the shootings.

Here's what we know about the suspect shooter's alleged whereabouts that day.

Saturday 3 p.m.: Gun Shop

Suspected shooter Jason Dalton visited Southwick’s, a gun store in Plainwell, Michigan, around 3 p.m. Saturday, where he bought a 511 brand tactical jacket, but no guns or ammunition, owner Jonathan Southwick told ABC News. The first shooting Dalton is accused of occurred around 5:45 p.m.

Southwick told ABC News Dalton was smiling and friendly in the store Saturday and that his behavior appeared normal.

Southwick said Dalton visited his gun store about once a month.

Saturday 4 p.m.: Uber Ride

Dalton may have driven an Uber customer between the gun shop visit and the shootings.

Matthew Mellen said he was scared for his life Saturday afternoon when he was driven by an "erratic" Uber driver named Jason around 4 p.m.

A mile into the ride, the driver received a telephone call, Mellen told ABC News. The driver answered on his Bluetooth device and said he was with a passenger and would call back, Mellen said.

After that, the driver became extremely erratic, blowing stop signs and sideswiping cars, Mellen said.

"I really thought I was going to die in that car," Mellen told ABC News.

The Shootings

Dalton, 45, is first accused of shooting a woman in a Kalamazoo parking lot around 5:45 p.m. Saturday, Michigan State Police said.

He's also the suspect in the deadly shooting of a father and son around 10 p.m. Saturday at a car dealership, state police said.

Dalton then allegedly approached two cars in a Cracker Barrel Restaurant parking lot and shot five people, state police said. Four of the victims in the two cars died, police said.

The Arrest

Dalton was arrested early Sunday morning. He was charged with six counts of murder, two counts of assault with intent to commit murder and eight charges of using a firearm during the commission of a felony, according to Kalamazoo County prosecuting attorney Jeff Getting.

Dalton appeared in court Monday and told the judge he understood the charges, but when asked whether he had anything for the judge to consider regarding bond, he said he wanted to remain silent. He did not enter a plea. His bail was denied and his next court appearance was scheduled for March 3.

Andrew Jamieson, who said he was best man at Dalton’s wedding, told ABC News he was in "disbelief" about the shootings and did not know Dalton was an Uber driver.

"He could make conversation with just about anyone, but he was also non-confrontational," Jamieson said. "That’s why it is surprising to me."

Ed Davis of the Uber Safety Advisory Board told ABC News' "Good Morning America" Monday that there was "no background check that would have identified this man as a problem."

"There is a full background check done on all driver partners for Uber," Davis said. "And this individual had the background check completed and there was nothing in his background to indicate he was a problem. He had no record whatsoever.

Davis, a former Boston Police Commissioner, called Uber "one of the safest platforms I’ve ever dealt with," adding that "Uber is constantly looking at their security procedures and updating them and that situation will continue."

Dalton's family said in a statement Monday: "There are no words which can express our shock and disbelief, and we are devastated and saddened for the victims and the families of the victims."

"This type of violence has no place in our society, and we express our love and support for everyone involved," the statement said. "We intend to cooperate in every way that we can to help determine why and how this occurred."

ABC News' Alex Perez and Whitney Lloyd contributed to this report.