New Intelligence May 'Bring Closure' to Kyron Horman Case

Authorities have launched a new search for the missing Oregon boy.

Jan. 30, 2011— -- Oregon police are searching two spots in Portland's West Hills today at the request of the Kyron Horman Task Force, in an effort officials and family say may bring "closure" to the case of the 8-year-old who has been missing for more than eight months.

Speaking with ABC News Portland affiliate KATU, Desiree Young, Kyron's biological mother, said she has been anticipating the search and the closure that it could bring to the case of her son, who went missing from a school science fair he attended with his stepmother, Terri Horman.

"I have been waiting for this search to happen for some time now," Young told KATU. "The Kyron Horman Task Force has shared the intelligence information with me, but unfortunately I can't share that information with the media. I'm excited that today's search will hopefully bring some closure to this case."

Roughly 50 search-and-rescue workers, along with up to seven cadaver-detecting dogs are searching the dense forests and gated logging roads around the West Hills.

A police spokesperson echoed Young's statements, telling KATU that the search today, the first in several weeks, were initiated in the hopes of bringing "closure" to the case.

The decision to search the two locations today was reportedly based on investigative leads developed by the Kyron Horman Task Force.

Kyron disappeared on the morning of June 4, after he and his stepmother, Terri Horman, attended a school science fair where Kyron had displayed a project on red tree frogs. Terri Horman said she last saw Kyron walking down a hallway toward his classroom.

When Kyron didn't come home on the bus that Friday afternoon, his parents called the school, which in turn called 911, launching what Gates said could be the largest search operation in Oregon history.

Approximately 1,300 searchers in the field were joined by 213 additional investigators from 42 different agencies from California, Oregon and Washington, while a National Guard helicopter also joined in the search.

Kyron's father, birth mother and the police have all pointed fingers at the boy's stepmother, Terri Horman, but she has not been charged or even named a person of interest.

She was the target of strong words from Young during an interview with "Good Morning America" in late August.

"You will go to jail, and whoever has been helping you, if they don't talk, they will go to jail," Young said. "I really believe that you want to do the right thing here and bring Kyron home."

Kaine Horman, has since filed for divorce, after being told that Terri Horman had allegedly tried to hire someone to kill him. Police have indicated that there are discrepancies in Terri Horman's account of what happened on the morning of June 4.

Terri Horman has remained steadfastly silent through most of the investigation, only releasing brief statements through her attorney that she did not have anything to do with Kyron's disappearance.

Terri Horman's lawyer, Stephen Houze, has said that his client had received death threats and that the media frenzy surrounding the case had morphed into a "witch hunt."

Kyron's biological parents, Kaine Horman and Young, have said publicly that they believe DeDe Spicher, a friend of Terri Horman, aided her in the disappearance of Kyron.

In July police doubled a reward to $50,000 for information that leads them to finding Kyron. They had previously received 3,500 leads and thousands of tips, according to Capt. Monty Reiser.