Michael Dunn Jury Goes Second Day of Deliberations Without Verdict

The jury has deliberated for 12 hours so far.

ByABC News
February 13, 2014, 9:45 AM

Feb. 13, 2014— -- The Florida jury in the murder trial Michael Dunn ended its second day of deliberations without a verdict.

Earlier in the day, they asked to see a foam mannequin that was used in court as a visual aid to show where unarmed teenager Jordan Davis was struck with bullets after an argument over loud music.

But the judge denied the jury's request claiming that "Bendy" the mannequin was a demonstration, and not put into evidence.

The request came on the first full day of deliberations. They have been deliberating for 12 hours so far, and will resume at 9 a.m. Friday.

Jurors began the day by watching surveillance video of the moment that Dunn fired at a parked SUV and killed the teenager.

Prosecutors allege Dunn, 47, fatally shot Davis, 17, in a convenience store parking lot on Nov. 23, 2012 after Dunn asked the teen and his friends to turn down their music.

Dunn testified that he feared for his life and thought Davis was going to kill him, prompting Dunn to pull out his gun and fire nine times.

On Wednesday, the judge gave the jurors a range of charges they can consider against Dunn and the jury reviewed the case for more than three hours before quitting for the night. They resumed this morning.

The Jury

Jury consists of seven women and five men. They are being sequestered until they reach a verdict.

Verdicts the Jury Can Consider

Dunn is charged with first-degree murder, which could result in a life sentence. The judge instructed the jury, however, that they could also consider lesser charges, including second degree murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide or excusable homicide.

Did Davis Have A Gun?

Dunn, a software developer, testified that he saw Jordan Davis point what appeared to be four inches of a barrel of a gun at him.

"I thought he was coming to kill me. I thought he was coming to beat me," Dunn said.

Dunn said he did not see what he believed to be a shotgun anymore when he pulled out his own gun and began firing.

Prosecutors said Davis was unarmed and no weapon was ever found.

Dunn Says He Feared For His Life

Dunn has not invoked a stand your ground defense, however his attorney, Cory Strolla, said in closing arguments that his client had a right to "meet force with force."

He said the state has the burden to prove that Davis didn't brandish a gun at Dunn, as Dunn has claimed.

Assistant State Attorney Erin Wolfson told jurors that Dunn "fired round after round after round" at Davis and his friends as they sat in their car. She said Davis was inside the SUV when he was killed. Dunn claims the teen exited the vehicle.

The prosecutor showed the jury photos of the bullet-riddled red SUV where she said Davis was sitting in the back seat when he was fatally hit with three bullets.

"Jordan Davis didn't stand a chance," she said.

Dunn Left the Scene

After the shooting, Dunn went to his hotel room with his fiancee, Rhonda Rouer, where they ordered a pizza and spent the night.

The video of Dunn's interrogation with investigators, taken on Nov. 24, 2012, was played for the jury on Tuesday.

Dunn told police in the video that he was at the hotel, "sh---ing bricks, waiting for another carload of thugs to come. I've never been so scared in my life."

It wasn't until later that evening that Dunn said he learned one of the teens had died.

Dunn and his fiancee left their hotel the next morning and went home to Brevard County where Dunn was arrested.