-- An 11-year old boy from North Nashville who went missing earlier this week has been found safe in Atlanta after apparently hopping a Megabus near his hometown to make the trip by himself.
The fact that the boy, identified as Nathan Long, made it from Tennessee to Georgia has raised questions about how he was able by himself to buy a ticket and board the Megabus.
The policy of Megabus, outlined on its website, states, "All children under 17 years of age must be accompanied by an adult (17 years of age or over) when traveling on Megabus.com. Unaccompanied children under the age of 17 are not permitted to travel on Megabus.com. We recommend that young adults be prepared to produce a photo ID with proof of age to avoid being refused from traveling on our buses."
Sean Hughes, associate director of corporate affairs for Megabus, told ABC News that the bus line is investigating the report. "We're looking into it and we take it very seriously," Hughes said. "Safety is our number one priority."
Asked if Long actually boarded the Megabus in Nashville, Hughes said, "Were not sure. We're actively looking to piece it together."
Hughes said that if the surveillance video, referenced in a Tennessean article, that places Long at 28th Avenue North and Buchanan Street at 7:15 p.m. Monday is accurate, it's unlikely that he actually took a Megabus. The timing would make it incredibly hard for the boy to catch the one bus headed to Atlanta that night. The Megabus website shows only one departure to Atlanta Monday night, at 7:30 p.m.
Long was last seen at about 6 p.m. Monday leaving his home in the Cumberland View public housing complex. Siblings told police that the boy took his backpack, the Tennessean reported.
Metro Nashville Police told ABC News that Long's mother was scheduled to go to Atlanta to pick her son up today.