Police Still Interviewing Witnesses in Shopping Rage Incident

Police reportedly are not yet charging the Black Friday pepper spray suspect.

ByABC News
November 27, 2011, 9:32 AM

Nov. 27, 2011 — -- Police reportedly are still undecided about whether they will press charges against the Black Friday shopper who doused 20 people in pepper spray at a Los Angeles Walmart.

The woman was released pending further investigation as authorities decide whether they will file charges, the Los Angeles Times reported today.

The woman, who has only been identified as a Latina in her 30s, turned herself in around 8:30 p.m. Friday. She was released pending further investigation.

"There are a lot of victims and witnesses that need to be interviewed to determine what the appropriate actions are," Officer Bruce Borihanh told ABC News.

The woman became notorious during the Black Friday frenzy when she allegedly used pepper spray on shoppers in different areas of a Walmart store Thursday night to gain quick access to the deals on her list.

The store had brought out a crate of discounted Xbox video game players, and a crowd had formed to wait for the crate to be opened. The woman began pepper spraying shoppers in order to get closer to the crate, according to Police Sgt. Jose Valle.

Shopper John Lopez wasn't hit, but compared the scene to a riot.

"[The victims'] faces were red," he told ABC News Radio. "This one guy was coming up to my wife going, 'Call an ambulance! Call an ambulance!'"

During the melee, the woman was able to pay for her purchases and slip away before police arrived, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The pepper spray incident was not the only violence that broke out during Black Friday sales.

Black Friday Violence Breaks Out at Walmarts Across the Country

Police said a man was shot in the parking lot of a San Leandro, Calif., Walmart around 1:50 a.m. Friday morning, after he refused to give up his purchases to a group of thieves. The victim, whom police refused to identify, was shopping with his family, who managed to hold down one suspect until police arrived. The others fled, but Sgt. Mike Sobek of the San Leandro Police Department said the police were still reviewing surveillance footage for clues.

In Kissimmee, Fla., two men fought over jewelry deals at a Walmart. Police arrived at the store shortly after 1 a.m. to defuse the fight. One man was arrested when he resisted as officers tried to escort him out of the store.

In another Walmart-centric act of rage, Tonia Robbins, 55, was shot in the foot while thieves stole her purse outside a Myrtle Beach, S.C., store shortly after 1 a.m. The suspects fled after Ann Robbins, 58, pulled out a revolver and fired three warning shots into the air, the police report stated.

A video of a grandfather being slammed to the floor by police and knocked unconscious at a Buckeye, Ariz., Walmart went viral in the midst of Black Friday madness. Police said Jerald Newman was shoplifting, but Newman's family said he only stuck a video game in the waist band of his pants so he could free up his hands and help his young grandson escape the Black Friday melee. After receiving four staples on his head, Newman was booked into the Maricopa County Jail on charges of shoplifting and resisting arrest.

ABC News' Olivia Katrandjian contributed to this report