Found Alive! Two Boys Found, One Went Missing for Four Years


Jan. 12, 2007— -- Investigators frantically searching for one missing boy in Missouri found two this afternoon. Police raiding a Kirkwood, Mo., apartment found 13-year-old Ben Ownby, missing since Monday, and 15-year-old Shawn Hornbeck, who disappeared from nearby Washington County four years ago.

The two boys were seen walking into the Sheriff's department with investigators late this afternoon. Sheriff Gary Toelke, who had grown frustrated with the investigation earlier in the week, seemed elated.

"We have some good news, and we have some probably unbelievable news," Toelke told reporters this afternoon. He said, "Both boys appear, at this point, to be OK. Obviously, they'll be checked out to make certain they're in good shape."

Ownby, a straight-A student and Boy Scout was last seen by a friend getting off the school bus on a rural stretch of Highway 50 in Beaufort. His friend Mitchell Hults saw him run from the bus. When Mitchell turned around, Ben was gone and a truck was speeding away.

"I seen a white truck sideways on the road, and it was flying, throwing rocks going sideways and everything," said Hults

Police in Kirkwood, 40 miles from where Ownby disappeared, spotted that beat-up white Nissan truck with a camper shell and obtained a search warrant. A child living there identified himself as Sean Hornbeck. Hornbeck was 11 when he disappeared in 2002. He went out on a bike ride and never returned.

In an interview with ABC News last summer, Hornbeck's father, Craig Akers, talked about not giving up hope of finding his son.

Police have arrested 41-year-old Michael Devlin with one count of kidnapping so far.

Authorities say more charges are expected to follow.

Both boys are being reunited with their families tonight as police now try to piece together the last four years of Sean Hornbeck's life, and the last four days of Ben Ownby's.

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events