HOUSTON Nov. 7, 2008 (AP) -- U.S. Sen. John Cornyn says the Army has appointed a brigadier general to investigate allegations of a cover-up among commanders of a recruiting battalion after a string of recruiter suicides.
Five Army recruiters from the same Houston battalion have committed suicide since 2001, including two since August. Cornyn last month called for an independent investigation in a letter to Secretary of the Army Pete Geren.
The Houston Chronicle reports Geren responded in a two-page letter dated Nov. 3, writing that he shared Cornyn's concern about the suicides and reports of "undue command influence within the Houston Recruiting Battalion investigations."
Brig. Gen. Frank Turner of the U.S. Army Accessions Command has been assigned to lead the investigation and make recommendations.
In addition, the U.S. Army Recruiting Command is conducting fatality review boards and line-of-duty investigations into the two most recent suicides.
Cornyn says he's pleased with the Army's response so far, but his office will to continue to monitor developments and pursue further action as needed.