UConn murder suspect arrested in Maryland after 4-state manhunt

Peter Manfredonia may have taken a cab to Maryland, police said.

The University of Connecticut student who allegedly killed two people and injured a third was taken into custody Wednesday night, police said.

Connecticut State Police said Peter Manfredonia, 23, was taken into custody in Hagerstown, Maryland.

"We know that this suspect will face justice," Connecticut State Police Trooper First Class Christine Jeltema said Wednesday night. "This is important for the victims, the victim's families."

Jeltema said officials were able to apprehend Manfredonia in large part due to social media, technology and "good old fashioned police work."

Manfredonia could be facing state or federal charges, which will be decided in the coming days, Jeltema said following his arrest.

During a bail hearing Thursday in Washington County District Court in Maryland, Manfredonia waived extradition and declined representation. The state of Connecticut has 30 days to extradite him.

The investigation began last Friday and involved investigators from four states and the FBI. Manfredonia, a senior, allegedly attacked two men in Willington, Connecticut, killing Theodore Demers, 62, and wounding the unidentified second victim, according to police.

On Sunday, he allegedly invaded a Willington home and stole pistols and long guns and a truck, police said. Manfredonia allegedly drove to Derby, Connecticut, where he allegedly killed an acquaintance, Nicholas J. Eisele, 23, inside his home, abducted another resident, stole a car and fled, according to police.

The kidnapped victim was found later Sunday unharmed in Paterson, New Jersey, and identified Manfredonia as her captor, police said. He then took an Uber to an East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, Walmart and disappeared behind the store.

On Monday, police reported that an SUV near the Walmart was stolen Monday and the same vehicle was discovered near a Chambersburg gas station Tuesday.

Pennsylvania police said Manfredonia was spotted at the station and officers released surveillance footage that reportedly showed him inside its store, wearing glasses, a maroon shirt, a blue jacket, shorts and red shoes.

He allegedly took an Uber cab from the store to Hagerstown, roughly 25 miles away, police said.

Michael Dolan, the Manfredonia family's lawyer, told reporters earlier in the week the suspect had a history with mental illness and had urged him to turn surrender to police. Dolan did not immediately return messages for comment about the arrest.