7-Year-Old Girl 'So Scared' During Face-First Fall Down 50-Foot Well

Megan Winters spent nearly a month in the hospital for her extensive injuries.

Feb. 8, 2014— -- A 7-year-old old Georgia girl who plummeted 50 feet down a narrow well last year said she was "so scared" as she spent more than an hour upside down with life-threatening injuries.

Megan Winters was playing in her grandparent's backyard in Carroll County, Ga., Dec. 30, 2013 when she almost lost her life.

"I was sitting on a ledge of well and I went to go stand up," Megan told ABC News. "I slipped and fell."

Megan attempted to break her fall moments after she plunged down the well.

"I was putting my hand against the well and fell even deeper," she said.

7-Year-Old Describes Fall to Bottom of Well

But the second grader couldn't hold on and she ended up at the bottom of the well with her legs bent in the air and unable to move.

Megan's cousin immediately notified the little girl's grandmother, who dialed 911 and desperately pleaded for help.

"I kept screaming, 'My baby is in the well. Please go in and get my baby out,'" Megan's grandmother Jean McCollum recounted.

McCollum described the tense moments she feared for Megan's life while being unable to help her granddaughter.

"When she got quiet is what scared me the most. When she would get quiet," McCollum said.

Girl, 7, Saved After 50-Foot Fall Down Well

For more than an hour, with broken legs, a broken arm and fractures to her face and skull, Megan sat trapped until first responders were able to devise a plan to pull her out of the well, which came with its own challenges.

The well was so narrow, only the smallest firefighter on the scene could be lowered into the well to make the rescue.

"A fireman named Captain Clay came down and got me," Megan said, referring to Lt. Clay Kierbow.

Megan was then airlifted to Atlanta Children's Hospital where she underwent hours of surgery for her extensive injuries. However, the dramatic rescue from the well was hardly the end: Megan spent nearly a month in the hospital and had to relearn just about everything.

"They taught her how to do maintenance for herself. They taught her how to brush her own teeth," Megan's mother, Melissa Winters, said.

Megan still has rods and screws in her right leg and her left leg remains in a brace. Megan is not letting her injuries keep her down as she hopes to return to the things she loves most: fashion designing, playing soccer and singing.