Two possible cases of Zika have been reported in Miami Beach, setting off alarm in one of the country's biggest tourist destinations even as public officials stress that the location where the virus was actually transmitted has not been confirmed.
Interested in Zika?Add Zika as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Zika news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
"By now you may have seen the various news reports regarding the Zika virus linked to Miami Beach," Miami Beach City Manager Jimmy Moraels said in a statement. "It is important to note that at this time the Department of Health has not confirmed any cases on Miami Beach, however we have been informed that cases are being investigated."
The Florida Department of Health Thursday reported two new non-travel related cases of Zika showing up outside the one-square-mile area around Miami's Wynwood arts district where several cases had previously been reported. City and state officials have said that the outbreak is contained to that specific area, where efforts to eradicate the mosquito population have also been focused.
The New York Times cited an anonymous health official saying a "handful" of cases had been linked to Miami Beach. The Miami Herald quoted an email reportedly sent from Moraels to Miami Beach commissioners in which he mentions a tourist who may have been infected during a stay there, as well as a local resident who lives and works in Miami Beach who may also have become infected.
The two additional cases reported Thursday bring the total number of local transmissions of the Zika virus in Florida to 35.