Outdoor holiday lights ignited and caused a house to catch fire in Tennessee
WATCH: Surveillance video shows the front bushes of Mary Morrison's home in Columbia, Tennessee, bursting into flames early Tuesday.

A single strand of outdoor decorative lights ignited, causing a house to catch fire in Tennessee.

Surveillance video shows the front bushes of Mary Morrison’s home in Columbia, Tennessee bursting into flames early Tuesday.

“The lights started sparking at 2:51 a.m. That lasted an hour, and then it turned into a fire,” said Morrison.

According to Morrison,26, the flames from the bushes caused the front of the house to catch fire and smoke to pour into a vent. Morrison said her and her partner, Danielle Huckaby, were woken up by their fire detector. Huckaby, who is a volunteer firefighter, grabbed an extinguisher and quickly put out the fire, which caused at east $1,700 worth of damage, according to Morrison's estimate.

“Firefighters said that if we’d woken up a minute later, smoke would have filled the entire house,” Morrison told ABC News.

Morrison said the outlet for the lights didn’t have anything else plugged in, so the socket was not overwhelmed.

“Our mistake was leaving the lights plugged in most of the time. We didn’t think anything would happen.” said Morrison.

Morrison said she purchased the generic lights last year from Wal-Mart. She used them last year, and had only used them for four days this year. Wal-Mart did not respond Thursday to a request for comment.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (USCPSC), all indoor and outdoor lights should be checked for broken or cracked sockets, as well as frayed or bare wires.

USCPSC also advises that all home owners turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when they go to bed or leave the house because the lights can catch fire.